Planning a big trip to dive SE Asia/Australia need advice on liveaboards/dates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jungho Kim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

My wife and I are already booked on the WAOW in mid Nov, 2016 to dive Raja Ampat. While we are in SE Asia, we want to take the opportunity to just stay there and dive as many places as possible. We were thinking high-level schedule based on our confirmed dates on the WAOW.

Oct Sipadan?
Nov Lembeh@KBR then Raja on WAOW
2 weeks for land tours
Early Dec Komodo on Indo Aggressor
Jan Australia
Jan/Feb back to Thailand and Philippines

The question I have is on Komodo. Is it better to dive Komodo before Nov or is Dec OK? I have read some awful things about Indo Aggressor but the reviews were from 2013 and it is the only boat offering an early Dec trip. The Indo Siren only offers trips May to Nov so I am wondering if I should do Komodo before I do Lembeh and Raja. I am flexible at this point with the only fixed schedule being Raja in mid November. Any insight would be appreciated as I would like to start finalizing the dates soon.

cheers, JK

You could try going to Komodo earlier certainly October is a better month and you'll be more likely to be able to dive both north and south.

This could be a good option ....
Ambon to Kaimana - on Damai II 26 oct - 07 nov. The yacht is chartered by Equator Diving - (Ambon to Kaimana on Damai II | 26 Oct-7 Nov 2016 | Liveaboard Diving Holidays | Equator Diving)
then dive Triton Bay with Triton Bay Divers (Triton Bay Divers)
then fly from Kaimana to Sorong to meet the Waow
Dive Bali / Lembeh afterwards and so on

i think you could be in the rainy season going in december.

also look for local liveaboard operators there are loads, well run, with western dms if you want that, and offer far better value for money.

Thanks everyone. With further research, others have also said I should visit Komodo earlier than later. We are now booked on the Adelaar in Oct. So we will do Sipadan, Komodo, hang out in Bali before we go to Raja Ampat, do some land tours, then Lembeh@KBR then off to Australia. Still have to figure out Thailand and Philippines but at least Indonesia is booked.

Back
Top Bottom