Places to stay - Lauderdale By The Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving4TheHalibut

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I really enjoy shore diving. We've read about shore diving in Lauderdale By The Sea, but we have not found much information about where to stay. Any recommendations?

Also...
Any recommendations on dive shops down there?

Diving4TheHalibut:
My wife and I really enjoy shore diving. We've read about shore diving in Lauderdale By The Sea, but we have not found much information about where to stay. Any recommendations?

Also...
Any recommendations on dive shops down there?

I stayed at the Pier Pointe for a few days last summer. If I remember right they were reasonably priced and right on the beach.

http://www.pier-pointe.com/

Where are you located? Are you coming in for a visit or do you live here?
FWIW, there are A LOT of us in the general area who do A LOT of beach diving there. We did one last night!
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=58191&page=5&pp=10
There always seems to be a dive planned for LBTS at some time!
Give us more info, and if visiting, post a trip in the private trips section. Of course a posted trip is an invitation for others to join the fun...
Oh, and make sure somebody has a flag, boaters can be pretty scary there...

Diving4TheHalibut:
A lot of the old places on the water have closed to make way for high-rise redevelopment, including Sandy Shoes (Sea Vista) and - I think - Pier Point. To find hotels on the water, do a Yellow Pages map search on my address, 4200 El Mar Drive (zip 33308) and call anybody with an even numberd address - they'll be on the water.

We do most shore diving around Hibiscus and Datura, just south of Commercial Boulevard (Angler's Pier). You'll be able to find a lot of dive buddies or people to show you around in this zone.

Two other options that have good beach access but aren't on the water are the Holliday Inn, at the south end of our little town, and Clarion up at the north with a great night life. Both are on A1A.

If you don't find a place on the water, a lot of people stay at the Best Inn up on A1A. They're only about $45/night and have a great bar/restaurant downstairs. You'll drive down to the beach (about 3 minutes) because it's just out of walking range.

There's a little dive shop here on A1A but it's mainly for tourists. I use Scuba School & Dive Center on Oakland Park, which has nitrox and all the usual services/stuff.

As Jenny says we have a great dive-life here. Maybe you should also think about a day's trip to the Keys if you've never been. Just a little more than 2 hours south you'll find the best wrecks and reefs in the US.

Thank you so much for all the information!! We're in Atlanta and were trying to plan a vacation for later in the year. Lauderdale-by-the-Sea sounded interesting. All of your information is very helpful! I will definitely post the trip if that ends up being our choice for vacation.

Hope you make it to our little section of underwater Paradise. You've got buddies for the asking. Good dives, good times, good friendships.

Best wishes and safe ascents,
Grier

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom