Places to stay and Dive shops in Phuket ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot81

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Am trying to go to Phuket in mid December, guess the weather should be ok right? I don't think that I will go for liveaboards, so are there any recommendations for places to stay that are reasonably priced and nice? Should also have easy access to dive shops in the area. Similarly, any recommendations for dive shops?

Cheers.

There are lots of places to stay and plenty of diveshops as well. The main beaches (also the places from where transport to the diving pier is free of charge) are Patong, Karon and Kata. Patong is the entertainment venue on Phuket, Karon and Kata are a lot quieter, with still good music bars, restaurants and hotels. From any of these places you will have easy access to a couple of diving centres.

I would say, simply check out the DC's, see who you feel comfortable with and dive there. The prices will vary a bit with the quality and service the DC and boat operator will give you.

Have fun.

stevenl:
There are lots of places to stay and plenty of diveshops as well. The main beaches (also the places from where transport to the diving pier is free of charge) are Patong, Karon and Kata. Patong is the entertainment venue on Phuket, Karon and Kata are a lot quieter, with still good music bars, restaurants and hotels. From any of these places you will have easy access to a couple of diving centres.

I would say, simply check out the DC's, see who you feel comfortable with and dive there. The prices will vary a bit with the quality and service the DC and boat operator will give you.

Have fun.
How far is it from Kata to Patong? So are there anything to do at Kata in the evenings or is it completely dead? Any hotels to recommend in Kata area? How are the dive bookings for your DC? No issue to go down and book a day trip when we are there?

From Kata to Patong is by Tuktuk appx. 20 minutes. But there is plenty to do in Kata already, with a nice bar with live music, and a wide choice of other bars, of restaurants and hotels. It is really not dead.

Hotels: really depends on the budget. There are very nice places like Kata Sea Breeze, Serene Resort, Kata Palm resort, and even higher up the Karon and Kata Beach resort. Than there's also the non-resort hotels like Dome Bungalows, Kata Hill Residence, Kata Center Inn, Little Mermaid, etc.

Normally you should be ok for the daytrips to simply book when you're here. Some of the trips are more popular, for these you have to book 2 days in advance, but mostly the day before is fine. Just don't show up at 9.00 PM and expect lots of choice in destinations and boats.

pilot81:
How far is it from Kata to Patong? So are there anything to do at Kata in the evenings or is it completely dead? Any hotels to recommend in Kata area? How are the dive bookings for your DC? No issue to go down and book a day trip when we are there?

I stayed at Peach Hill Hotel in Kata years ago. They offered a good breakfast, a nice range of accomodations at reasonable prices.
I think they still have a site on the on the internet. Kata was not as crazy as Patong at that time. HTH.

Try this site for information on places to stay

It'll allow you to seach for other people's opinions on hotels that they stayed in around Phuket. You'll get more honest answers than the hotel's or agent's sites.

Back
Top Bottom