Places to buy uw photo equipment in Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis

Reaction score
I am leaving for a SE Asian trip and would like to buy a cooplix 5000 and a sea & sea housing in Singapore.

Can anyone point me to a place where I can find these items at a good price in Singapore? If this is unobtainable then I would consider a nikonos V as well...

Any help duly appreciated. TIA.

Sorry...I'm not familiar with that part of the worl but ssr30 or ReyeR may be able to help you. They'll be along in a bit.

Probably the most knowledgable source of underwater photography information in Singapore is Christopher Ho, who runs AQUATIC camera & video HOUSING in the Shaw Centre on Orchard Rd. (65-9-635-1215). I've also bought Nikonos lenses from Southern Cross Pte. Ltd. in Lucky Plaza (6235 0854), who also has a decent inventory of housings, strobes. etc.

That said, Singapore probably isn't the best place to buy cameras, lenses and housings in Asia. Most people find they can get better prices in Hong Kong, especially now with tourism way down because of SARS.

... for your replies.

Unfortunately I am not planning to visit hong kong. Right now I have a trip to Sipadan organized and a few days left, not sure yet where I'll head.

How much lower would it be in HK? and BTW, isn't there a sea&sea dealer in Singapore?

PS.
Isn't sars contained? Should I be worried?

I though Coolpix 5000 has been discontinued and replaced by 5400. Anyhow, there are plenty of camera stores along Orchard road. Just make sure that you check to prices from several stores first to get the feel for the actual price.
As far as Sea and Sea equipment goes, I am not sure who is the dealer there now but vaguely remember seeing some stores in the basement level of Lucky Plaza that carries it.
However the price was not all that cheap, if I remember right, the Sea and Sea YS-90 DX strobe was something like $S1400 which is something like $US800-900. Dont know about the price in Hong Kong but I find the US to be one of the cheapest place right now,
also may be Japan (but camera bought in Japan usually comes with Japanese everything, manual,menu, label rather than English).

I checked a few places and found Singapore to be expensive for UW gear. Maybe better for cameras. For cameras there are plenty of shops on Orchard Road and another place to check out is Sim Lim Square. Other places are John 3:16 Photo in Funan Centre, and Cathay Photo is another well known shop(s). The Sea and Sea place is Adelphi, near Funan, and is run by a guy named Andrew Yeo.

For cameras, shop around a bit (and haggle) but be very clear on what you're paying for: some shops will give you cheap prices for 'display' pieces.

For UW goods of US origin I just order from the US. For UW goods of Japanese origin I just order from Japan (except cameras).

HTH

Thanks Guys.

I know the 5000 has been discontinued, but it's still a good camera with a few housings available (none for the 5400), and I thought I would be able to get a good price.

A couple of questions: Do you haggle at places like Sim Lim?

and what about the Nikonos V? any good source?

I know that the US is cheaper, unfortunately unless I go there, shipping and duty makes it unattractive to import. Even if singapore was a little more expensive it would still work out better for me.

There is a Sea&Sea dealer in the Adelphi mall on Coleman Street (the shop is called Divers Deams).
You will be able to find the Coolpix 5000 in many shops - try Sim Lim square for instance where you should be able to get a good deal

The Sea and Sea dealer in Singapore is www.diversdreams.com - send Andrew an email before you go - although he carries stock of just about the whole range.

I find him to be a very reliable, knowledgable and very honest dealer (I buy all my gear from him).

the shop is located downtown in the Adelphi building so its easy to find and it's open 7 days a week. In fact I flew over to see him just a couple of weeks ago to pick up some gear.

This is a full dealership covering spares and maintenance also, not some reseller

Singapore is a reasonably cheap place to buy. Personally I stear clear of Orchard Rd (tourist prices), and Sim Lin Sq (you can get conned, but it's ok if you know what the price should be).

Have just had a very pleasurable shopping experience in the Sea and sea shop (no I don't work for them!!!) in the Adelphi.

I bought a YS120 with arm/tray/synch cord etc for nikonos 5 for S$1400 which is only about 800 US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom