placencia in july?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

photo joe

Reaction score
placencia, belize is on the "short list" for two weeks in july. i've heard good stuff about the seahorse shop and cozy corners hotel (i want cable and a kitchenette; a.c. would be nice) no sand fleas, please. can any one advize on these two or others?
p.s....spent two weeks at dive abaco and lofty fig on abaco, bahamas. they are also on the short list for a return trip. but my buddy wants southern belize for the birding.
thanx in advance
joe

The weather could be a bit wet in July. It's kind of a roll of the dice. And still, light wind times after rains are the worst for sand flies.....and mosquitos. It's just part of the package in Central America. The movie, Mosquito Coast (so I was told), was filmed here after all.
Sea Horse has a good reputation among the locals.

You'll have to be understanding when you try to contact Seahorse. Hank is right that they (owner is Brian Young) have a very good reputation locally, but communication is not Brian's strong point! I run a dive operation in the north of the country and I've often tried to send people to Brian when they're visiting his area (or want to visit the whalesharks, for which he is the acknowledged expert) but I've always had great trouble finding him by phone or email.

As to the weather - well, it's dry season now, but not so's you'd know it. It rains almost every day, and one day recently we had 15" (a friend has a personal weather station - I didn't believe it until I saw for myself). So who knows what will happen next July? Probably snow!

Peter, after this last July, if things average out, we shouldn't have rain for 8 more Julys. The farm where I worked back in the lagoon at Placencia recorded 26 inches of rain in July. June as also the wettest June in recent history down this way. The Coastal Rd washed out and was impassable 5 times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom