Placencia (BZE) Trip in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

get10wet

Registered
Reaction score
I know someone out there has been diving off Placencia...

My husband and I are joining 2 other couples on a vacation to Placencia for the holidays. Four of us are divers (1 OW, 3 AOW) and the other two are beach loungers/explorers. Thus the "mainland" location as opposed to one of the atolls. We'll be staying in a private rental (more affordable than a hotel for 3 couples.)

I have contacted Seahorse divers, but was concerned about "cancellation" policies noted on the contract. Is it common in Belize for dive ops to charge a 50% fee for cancellation due to severe weather? Am I better off booking our dives when I arrive (considering it is the week of Christmas?) Are there any other local dive shops I should be considering?

We also want to plan a cave tubing tour and a Mayan ruins tour. Any suggestions for some really awesome tour guides that don't have that cruise-ship-tour feel? Is there anything else we shouldn't miss while in Belize?

We'll be arriving at Goldson International airport on a major US airline just before noon. Does anyone have a good/bad experience with Maya Air or Tropic Air as a connecting air service between Belize City and Placencia? How much time should I allow between flights based on airport activity and organization?

Thanks!

Cancellation is a tricky issue. If I have to cancel a dive trip due to weather then I don't charge, and if I've already been paid on a composite rate I refund pro-rata. I also refund in most other circumstances where I haven't already incurred external expenditure.

Sadly this policy doesn't seem to be common, and many operators will make no refund whatsoever. They say you should have trip insurance to cover the loss. Most "consolidators" or tour companies operating in the States (which refer divers down here, charging us a nice round 20% on the divers' charges) also refuse to make any refunds whatever the circumstances, whether to diver or dive company. I think this is immoral (and in some countries would be illegal) so I don't deal with them. Your 50% thus seems to be better than normal.

The reality is that trip insurance rarely covers all the costs you've incurred, so I'd say you have two options - find a dive operator with an acceptable refunds policy, or find a really good trip insurer.

At that time of year all boats will be going out, and although a few may be fully booked you'll almost certainly be able to find people to take you out. This isn't a recommendation (as I don't know how much pressure there may be on dive boats in the area you're going to) but in your place I would wing it - leave it until I got there before I organised diving.

Seahorse generally have a good name and I'm a bit surprised at their cancellations practice (though I know otherwise reputable operators up here who never refund), but there certainly are several other operators down there. I don't know who they are - try Googling Placencia, and look up on PADI. The Way The World Learns to Dive what dive centers they list in that area.

I've never flown to Placencia, but both Tropic and Maya have excellent reputations in general. At a guess I'd say the trip may take around 20 minutes, but their websites will give actual schedules. Allow an hour from landing from your international flight to boarding the local one.

Hi. We dove with a little dive op across the street from Sea Horse, I can't remember the name at the moment. I will look it up for you. As for inland--the cave of the crystal maiden (I can't spell the mayan name-actun tunichil something or other) is absolutely an incredible trip. One of the coolest things i have done. You have to be in descent shape to do it. Carlos was the guide we used and we hooked up with him in San Ignacio. Ian Anderson's Jungle lodge and their trips were a lot of fun and not your cruise ship set. It's been 7 years since we stayed there though. The cave tubing is too far to do from Plancencia as a day trip--are you staying inland too?

I have dove with Seahorse...they were OK.....Do not dive with Roberts Grove...cattle boats and they are expensive....dove a couple of spots that they say are there better dives....Silky Cayes and Sapodilla....actually I thought the Top Side was more stunning with the little Islands and palm trees than the diving......I would just take your chances when you get there......you will find a dive op.....one thing I did not do...is swimming with the Mantee's.

I would just go down there and wing it. There are a ton of dive ops in Placencia. When I was there they all seemed starved for business, and it was their busy season (whale shark season). You won't have any trouble finding boats to take you out.

Both Maya and Tropic air are well run opperations. If I remember corectly the flight from the international airport was 50 minutes. Airport activity is minimal. They are very small airlines. Just make sure you are getting on the right plane. I met a couple while I was down there who had accidentally gotten on the wrong plane and ended up in Ambergris. If you like hiking, check out the cockscomb basin. It's about 30 minutes drive north of placencia. You can catch a bus out there for 2 or 3 dollars. If you're up for a long ride and you like ruins, caracol is spectacular.

The best food in town is at a little place towards the end of the main road called the shack. It has outdoor only seating and serves breakfast and lunch. I found the beaches in placencia pretty disappointing. They were very dirty. Trash floating in the water, tons of seaweed, and an abundance of sand fleas. After a couple of days the beach crowd might be looking for things to do. A very cool little town though. Friendly people, and lots of interesting travelers.

The picture in my Avatar is a sunrise on Glover's Atol Belize. Beautiful country.

Oh forgot about those damn no-seeums and those weird flys that bite the hell out of ya.....make sure and take plenty of Deet...although....I thought the bugs liked it!

**We dove with a little dive op across the street from Sea Horse. **As for inland--the cave of the crystal maiden is absolutely an incredible trip. One of the coolest things i have done. Ian Anderson's Jungle lodge and their trips were a lot of fun and not your cruise ship set. **The cave tubing is too far to do from Plancencia as a day trip--are you staying inland too?

Oceancat, I have recently come up with 2 other shops in the area: one is Splash and the other is at Turtle Inn. Might either of these be the one you are thinking of? I'm not sure where either is located.

Thank you for the information on the Crystal Maiden. I had not yet identified this as a good day trip. Was Ian Anderson's Jungle Lodge where you booked the trip?

I won't be staying inland as far as I know. Plans can change with us, though. If we were to stay inland, is the cave tubing worth the days away from the ocean? This seems to be one trip that appealed to the beach loungers.

I would just go down there and wing it. There are a ton of dive ops in Placencia. When I was there they all seemed starved for business, and it was their busy season (whale shark season). You won't have any trouble finding boats to take you out.

Both Maya and Tropic air are well run opperations. If I remember corectly the flight from the international airport was 50 minutes. Airport activity is minimal. They are very small airlines. Just make sure you are getting on the right plane. I met a couple while I was down there who had accidentally gotten on the wrong plane and ended up in Ambergris. If you like hiking, check out the cockscomb basin. It's about 30 minutes drive north of placencia. You can catch a bus out there for 2 or 3 dollars. If you're up for a long ride and you like ruins, caracol is spectacular.

The best food in town is at a little place towards the end of the main road called the shack. It has outdoor only seating and serves breakfast and lunch. I found the beaches in placencia pretty disappointing. They were very dirty. Trash floating in the water, tons of seaweed, and an abundance of sand fleas. After a couple of days the beach crowd might be looking for things to do. A very cool little town though. Friendly people, and lots of interesting travelers.

The picture in my Avatar is a sunrise on Glover's Atol Belize. Beautiful country.

You pretty much nailed it. The flight to Placencia stops in Dangriga, which is about halfway. And unfortunately, you're right about our beaches. There is a lot of rubbish and seaweed etc but this is not so much the fault of Belize as it is being an east facing beachfront with predominate NE tradewinds. This blows most floating rubbish in our area of the Caribbean onto our beaches.

Jeff

Thanks for the wealth of information. Looks like the consensus is that I don't need to book my dives now. What a relief!

If you like hiking, check out the cockscomb basin. It's about 30 minutes drive north of placencia. You can catch a bus out there for 2 or 3 dollars. If you're up for a long ride and you like ruins, caracol is spectacular.

If we plan several day drips throughout the week, is it recommended we rent a car (6 adults) or is it best to take the bus?

I found the beaches in placencia pretty disappointing. They were very dirty. Trash floating in the water, tons of seaweed, and an abundance of sand fleas.

Funny, aren't the beaches in Placencia supposed to be the most beautiful in Belize? Uh, oh! Guess I won't tell the other couple this... yet!

Is it worth taking a day trip to one of the nearby cayes? Does anyone recommend one over the others?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom