PK dive cond.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Myself and several others dove Scuba Point at Possum Kingdom lake today.....water vis was between 5-7ft. and temp. at 85ft. was around 75f.

texdiveguy:
Myself and several others dove Scuba Point at Possum Kingdom lake today.....water vis was between 5-7ft. and temp. at 85ft. was around 75f.

What sort of dive is it at Scuba Point @ PK? Is the bottom mud or rocky? ... trees? ...Fish? Green, Brown or Gold water?

Timeliner:
What sort of dive is it at Scuba Point @ PK? Is the bottom mud or rocky? ... trees? ...Fish? Green, Brown or Gold water?

Hi Frank...well at the park there is an office/shop/fill station/restrooms/dock and pool....all well maintained with friendly folks.... $10 to dive. In the waters near the shore and within the bounds of the dive bouys are the typical aray of boats,,,,platforms and what-not. There is a great rock well that can be followed in either direction from the park. The bottom is a mix of silt/rocks. Many old trees line the shore underwater. The water has a gold tint to it and a large amount of particulant. Below 70' it is very dark. A few fish are noted with know water vegitation to speak of.

Hi everybody. I am new to the scubaboard and while browsing around I came across this thread so I thought I would share some info. While ScubaPoint is good for shore diving there are MUCH better places to dive on PK if you have access to a boat. I have been all over PK for most of my life and would be happy to share these spots if anyone is interested. Also, if you don't mind the water temp being a little lower try diving ScubaPoint between the middle of November and the middle of December. You will have to call Ann and make arrangments since they aren't usually open that time of year but she will make sure to let you in if you call ahead and viz can be as good as 25-30ft that time of year.

Hipshot:
Hi everybody. I am new to the scubaboard and while browsing around I came across this thread so I thought I would share some info. While ScubaPoint is good for shore diving there are MUCH better places to dive on PK if you have access to a boat. I have been all over PK for most of my life and would be happy to share these spots if anyone is interested. Also, if you don't mind the water temp being a little lower try diving ScubaPoint between the middle of November and the middle of December. You will have to call Ann and make arrangments since they aren't usually open that time of year but she will make sure to let you in if you call ahead and viz can be as good as 25-30ft that time of year.

That sounds good! I was thinking of "not" putting the Sea-Doo in moth balls this Winter. PK might make a good outing. This is going to be a tough Winter time $$ for lots of folks and I'm hoping that "the right boat at the right price" comes along that I can't refuse. I'm thinking it will. There are so many places that I want to dive that you need a boat to get to. :wink:

Hipshot:
MUCH better places to dive on PK if you have access to a boat.
Hello Hipshot,

Where in Central Texas are you? I am in Waco. I am a new diver so havent been diving at PK, but have been watching for info as I plan to do it at some future time. I have fished and skiied there and just cruised most of the lake. I would be interested in knowing where to dive or maybe joining you some time you might be diving.

I have a boat, but havent done any diving off it. Plan to do that soon as well when the opportunity is right.

Willie

I live a few miles southeast of Wichita Falls. Most of the good dive spots at Possum Kingdom are on the the Dam end of the lake. Hell's Gates is a good place to dive and find stuff because lots of boat partying goes on there. If you look at a map of PK there is a little arm that goes off of the main body of the lake about 2.2 miles from the damn called Neely Slough, it up to and past the Cliff's Resort Marina and it is a no-wake zone. If you go up the slough past the marina a little ways it's all good diving and noone ever dives there. When you first get in the slough the water is still about 80ft deep but past the marina everything is from 20ft to about 65ft in the channel and is is a protected spot to dive, meaning there isn't a bunch of wind and very little boat traffic. The boat traffic that is there is at no-wake speed so it isn't as scary as diving in the main body on a busy day. Bluff Creek is another little arm off the main body of the lake about 8.3 miles from the dam that is another good protected place to dive and one of the only places on the lake you can regularly see small-mouth Bass. There are lots of other spots on the main body that I would be more than happy to share if anyone is interested.

I like this thread. This sounds interesting. I am new to scuba board but not necessarily new to diving. Although, my diving life only spans about 18 months. Got certified in March 2004. I have been diving with TexDiveGuy and Timeliner a few times at uncorrelated events.

I am interested in diving just about anytime, anywhere, any season, almost any water condition. Shoot me a message. Now that I've found scuba board, I'll check back often.

Hipshot:
Ann and Todd will be open during the weekends now at Scuba Point. Todd will be working there full-time after the first of the year. They are offering boat dives on Saturday evenings for free. They are doing this to promote diving in the lake. There are really great diving spots on PK. Hell's Gate...etc. The website is www.scubapointpk.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom