PI's must do's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can start in the south in Mindanao; Camiguin, General Santos City and Davao; towards the Visayas; Bohol (Balicasag and Cabilao islands), Cebu (Malapascua, Moalboal, Sumilon), Dumaguete (Apo Island and Siquijor) and Sogod Bay in Southern Leyte; side trip to Coron (wrecks) in Palawan and then there's Anilao, Puerto Galera and Subic in Luzon.

I may have missed some sites....

:eek:uttahere

How fast do I have to swim to get all that into 7 days?
:rofl3:

Hi, we are diving in the Visayas on Easter. This question is more in regard to travel to Banaue though. I understand that it is a long ways from Manila and it seems that car travel is the only access. What is the best way to get there? I understand that the roads were 'washed out' during the last hurricane. Also, do you need to make reservations ahead of time at the Banaue Hotel? We will be traveling around April 17 or 18. Is there a travel agency or reputable operator we can use to guide us to the best viewing sites? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Thanks!
I have no plan, everything is open, I would however want to dive Tubbataha towards the end of my stay.
Clgsamson-thanks for the "itinerary", how feasible is it in terms of getting from one place to the other?
How safe (or unsafe as travel advise states) is it to go to Mindanao?
Is Anilao quieter then PG, I was told by a friend PG was very loud and touristy.
In general, how safe is it for a woman travelling alone?
Sorry for all the awkward questions, I`m sure I`ll have more along the way...

If you are arriving in Manila, you might consider going to one of the resorts in Puerto Galera, Mindoro (stay in one of the resorts of Little Laguna to avoid the noise) or in Anilao, Batangas first then hook up with a liveaboard that departs from Anilao to go to Tubbataha. A lot of the resorts in Anilao will pick you up from the international airport if this is what you desire, avoiding having to stay in a Manila hotel on your first night in the Philippines. The liveaboard (Expedition Fleet) can pick you up from the resort in Anilao to the boat and charges the same price for a 7 night cruise to the usual 5 night cruise in Tubbataha.
If you are arriving in Cebu, consider diving in Malapascua (I recommend the Exotic Dive Resort) then on to Moalboal, Cebu and/or Balicasag, Bohol. From any of these places you can go on to Dauin (Dumaguete), Negros. Both Bohol and Dumaguete are reachable by modern/fast ferry from Cebu City (Ocean Jet).
My opinion is, generally, it is safe for a woman to travel alone in the Philippines. Just let your common sense guide you. You can have the resorts arrange your transfer. If you have to stay in a Cebu hotel, it's very convenient to stay in the Waterfront Hotel (Lapulapu, Mactan). It's right by the airport and they will send a shuttle to pick you up free of charge (just a tip will do). Whereever you land make sure you exhange your foreign money to the local currency in the international airport to cover resort/transfer cost. The exchange rate in city hotels and resorts are far from being competitive and credit cards may not be accepted outside the big cities. If they are, high surcharges are imposed.

I am also planning a trip in March, 2010 I’d like to do a safari. Does anyone know of a group dive? Tired of going solo. I also need help me with finding a company that can plan a trip for me with as many dives as possible in a 14 day period I need everything! Accommodations equipment I know this year I want the PI next trip Indonesia. I am torn between Boracay and Puerto Gallego??? I want some cool night life also.

Tubbataha, comes to mind first, see if you can get a booking!

You might Bohol and Dumaguete (Apo Island). They are easy to get to from Manila, although flying does cut up your dive time.

Titatom: Banaue is a long drive from Manila; around 6 hours with good traffic. There are buses and tours that make things a little easier. The rice terraces are certainly worth the challenges.

Last edited:
Hi Bob, due to time constraint, we decided to go to Laoag/Vigan/Pagudpud, instead of Banaue and Sagada. How are you doing? Have you dived locally yet? Miss the Philippines? :)

Tita

Tita,
I wondered if that was you. How are you? I'm sorry you'll miss Banaue. It is almost a separate trip. Yes, we miss the Philippines. We went back to the US in December. Got to Albuquerque on Jan 1 and the temperature was -2 C. Brrrr!!!

We missed it so much we came back for 2 weeks in Jan/Feb. :) Actually, Kitty had to work, so I came along. We dove at Apo and Balicasag. It was a lot of fun, but viz was generally about 6-8 meters.

We never got to Palawan -- perhaps another trip.

I hope you see everything you want on your Easter trip.

Bob

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom