Pinnacle seam issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings fellow divers anyone having issues with fraying seams on Pinnacle wet suits?
I am asking this because I have noticed after about 140-150 dives the some of the seams fraying.
One suit no problem but two of my dive buddies had issues at about 75-100 dives.
Now I am concerned because I have been recommending their wet suits for about three years. Now I am contemplating my endorsement.
I love the suit but realize that they are top of the line and not cheap!
Anyone have issues like this?
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I have a Pinnacle suit and have used it for about 7-10 days. I have MAJOR issues with the seams. The threads are EXTREMELY susceptible to fraying of the actual threads. I have had the threads break in a number of places and have had to use wetsuit glue to stop the running of the threads. The suit seems to be put together well, but the threads used in the external seams is of very poor quality. I bought the suit last year, 5-4 Marino wool, one piece suit.

I have had many suits over 30 years and have experienced similar seam issues on only one other suit which was not nearly so expensive. I have heard good things about the suits, so I am pretty disappointed.

No issues with my 4/5mm Marino yet. I've had it about 5 years or so, plenty of dives. I'm hoping it won't be a future problem, as my fiancee and I just bought a pair of 3mm Pinnacles for warm water!

Thanks for the quick feed back I am not very pleased with some of the things I have been hearing from you and others. I just thought I would try to gather some more information before going to Pinnacle. As you understand these are $$$$ suits especially the merino. By all means keep the feed back rolling.
I have a Bare 3mm that has been used in the pool for 3 years and still going the seams are perfect but it shows obvious wear due to chlorine and use!

I wonder if their newer suits were made using an inferior thread? It is hard for me to believe that the suits would have built a good reputation when the threads (and thus) seams fall apart after a few dives?

I have a couple of Pinnacle suits and I haven't had any issues with any of them.

one thing I have heard great things about is their customer service, with the Zeagle buyout of Pinnacle and I understand they now handle the repairs, the reports that I am hearing say people get their suits back inside of 2 weeks including transit time.

Greetings meesier42 and thanks for the post. I was wondering if the buy out has caused issues. One diver that I know has been waiting for at least a month if not more for a replacement for his semi-dry. This and the seam issues are prompting me to research just what is really going on. I attempted to speak with our local rep. at Our World Underwater but he was to busy. I am concerned that there is a problem somewhere.
Two weeks is really a pretty good turn around, possibly there is more going on than I am aware.

The threads on my Elasti-Merino 5mm seemed very susceptible to snagging on any velcro. I was wondering if I needed to put something over the top of them, perhaps brush a small coating of wetsuit glue to prevent snagging and perhaps save the seam.

The threads on my Elasti 3mm do not have the same issue. Both 'Made in China'.

Greetings all and I have some news straight from Pinnacle Aquatics it seems that on some of their suits some threads were more prone to raveling or fraying. They have taken steps to solve this issue and for those of us with suits who are raveling or fraying they give steps to self repair or you can send the suit back for service.
The contact for service or repair dbreiding@PinnacleAquatics.com.
My request was very well addressed.
I hope this helps those who have this issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom