Pinnacle Merino Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jud1417

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all !

I am considering the Merino lined suit 7mm for 50-55 degree water. I have heard the merino lining is quite warm. Should I perhaps be looking at the 5mm...

Thanks

I dive 50 F in my 5mm ME with a 5mm hooded vest. It's cold but survivable. I don't do it often, long, deep, or multiple dives in 1 day. It's only a couple dive each year. If it were any more often, I'd be looking for something warmer. I really like the 5mm because it is so comfortable in water in the low to mid 60s.

Let me add, I dove my Merino from May thru October, in Lakes and rivers in Upstate NY and Dutch Springs in Pa. Approximately 30 dives. Multi Dive days and most normal conditions.

I loved the suit. But if I had to sit still and not move around much I would start to feel the cold. I tried a rash guard underneath on one dive and it actually made me colder. The wool has to be against your skin.

It would be worth it to try the suits first.

I also don't mind the cold and I was comfortable.

I have the 5mm merino and suppliment it with the merino 3mm hooded vest - for me, in 72 degree water, its just OK for the 1st dive but I find I'm cold on the 2nd. I purchased it less than a year ago so I don't think "compression" is an issue.

I'm looking into the 7mm, or even the 8mm - I cannot envision being remotely comfortable in 50/55 degree water with my current set up.

I got cold in a 7mil in 56* water, added a hooded vest. It all depends on your metabolism.

I also think it may have to do with what you are used to. Living in SoCal or Fla doesn't exactly get you acclimated to cold.

Back
Top Bottom