Pinnacle Kodiak w/ 7mm Drysuit Hood or Hooded Vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcmayo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got the Kodiak and a 5 mm hooded vest. First off, I'm thinking of upgrading to the 7mm h/v over the 5mm h/v. My question is, before I start shipping items back and forth across the US if I'd be better off just going w/ a drysuit hood? The XL also seems a little small/short so perhaps I'd be better off w/ the longer XXL and the hooded vest to fill up the spare room in the torso. Any problems w/ the neck seal on the Kodiak w/ a Pinnacle h/v seal? I'll be diving in Monterey and San Diego w/ the set up.

I to have a Kodiak, I have not dove mine yet, to much ice. I have a 7 mil hooded step thru shorty and will try it thru the ice ( yes thru the ice). I have dove a Atlan 7 mil with the vest and was fine , you should have no problem with a 7 mil vest. Try a local dive shop if you are going to find a hood you are comfy with. Do be aware of the zipper in your suit, the teeth pulled out of the first one I got.

I have the Kodiak. I won't be trying it til next week, but Pinnacle actually recommends a 7mm drysuit hood to go with this because the neck of the hood will be "sandwiched" between two opposing layers of your suit. I think a regular hood with a large collar or bib will just take up too much room, so I bought the drysuit hood they recommended.

The hooded vest will give you more protection in your chest, you'll get an additional 3mm in the center giving you a grand total of 11mm protection.

You will need that protection if you dive over 60 feet in Monterey because of the compression factor you can feel or get cold on repetitive dives.

I recommend for deeper dives you go that route but if you will dive shallow the 7mm dry hood will give you more freedom and easy of don/doff the suit.

MG

Back
Top Bottom