Pinnacle Aquatics Evolution vs. DUI CLX450/CF200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy has an Evolution and he absolutely loves it. My Evolution 2 is getting delivered to the store tomorrow morning. I'm going to put 3-5 dives on it between tomorrow and saturday night, so I'll be back to let you know how I like it.

I haven't seen the dry suit, but I really like their undergarments. I used the light fleece all summer and just got the heavy version with the Merino lining, which I hope to try out in Lake George next week. The fit is and cut is excellent, much better than the DUI 200gm Thinsulate.

I picked up my Evolution 2 on Friday, tried it out in the pool Friday night, and then did four cave dives on Saturday. The quality is impressive and it fits like a glove. I'm not sure how much I like the neoprene collar and the pockets are a little small, but those are small drawbacks that I can live with. Overall, I couldn't be happier with it. I just need to get some more experience diving dry. Dealing with air in the legs and boots is a unique experience--it's like learning to dive again.

I have a DUI CF200 Signature Series and just purchased a Pinnacle which I received last week and dove for the first time today.

The pro's to the Pinnacle are:

Cost it was almost $1600 less than my DUI
Undergarment, less expensive than DUI for a heavier weight and seems more comfortable

The pro's to the DUI are:

I am tall and the torso on the Pinnacle is not as long as I would like but going to an XXL was just too big and baggy.
The DUI has zip seals for which I paid dearly but they have saved a dive a couple time when I just pulled out a replacement.
The DUI is easier to get into, due primarily to the placement of the zipper which goes from your shoulder to your hip, the pinnacle goes from shoulder across your stomach.

For some reason the Pinnacle just seems a lot warmer, I am not sure if it was a result of it being harder to get into or the additional warmth in the undergarment but I was a lot hotter when I started my dive in the pinnacle vs. the DUI yesterday.

The shorter torso felt uncomfortable when walking but was fine when diving.

The custom cut makes a big difference in the DUI. My reason for buying the Pinnacle was my DUI leaks and has leaked since I got it and even though it is not a big leak it was a buying a new car and having oil in your driveway in the am. More of an irritant than a problem. Despite a having gone back to DUI twice and a local shop once the suite still leaked and now that I have a Pinnacle that suit will remain in San Diego until it is fixed, I dont care if it goes back a hundered times.

For the sixteen hundred or so dollars that you will save on the custom DUI the Pinnacle is well worth the cost and the people at Pinnacle were a pleasure to deal with. I went up to their shop in Livermore, tried suits looked and options and had a suit in two weeks vs. the almost seven weeks that it took for the DUI.

Go for the Pinnacle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom