Pilot Whales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freefall2

Contributor
Reaction score
We always have our VHF radios on because a lot of our friends use them here instead of cell phones. Yesterday I heard somebody announcing to anybody that was listening that they could see a bunch of dive boats and a sailboat following what they thought were Whale Sharks. We jumped in our panga and headed out to check it out. What we found was a big pod of Pilot Whales. Tim and I took turns jumping in to snorkel with them. They were amazing, like HUGE dolphins but with a rounded melon head like a beluga. I was only nervous once when I was with a Mom and Baby, the Mom sounded and Baby didn't follow her, it stayed up to have a closer look at me. I was praying that Mom didn't think I was a danger to her calf! We were in deep blue water so when she sounded I couldn't see her at all, there were just a few bubbles coming up to the surface. The baby started chattering at me and pinging me with sonar. I was clapping my hands and mimicking the noises through my snorkel. It was MAGICAL!!!

119470584-M.jpg

119469877-M.jpg

119470260-M.jpg

The rest of the photos are here:

pilot whales

Back
Top Bottom