Pieces of Eight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just finished reading Pieces of Eight--Recovering the Riches of A Lost Spanish Treasure Fleet by Kip Wagner as told by L.B. Taylor. 1966 (Florida Classics Library edition 1998).

As I kid, I recall siting in the barbershop and thumbing through old "Argosy" and "True" adventure magazines that featured stories about the discovery of treasure from sunken Spanish galleons off the coast of Florida. To a youngster in the frozen north, Florida was an exotic, warm place that meant sunny beaches and adventure. These magazine articles gave the impression that gold was laying on the bottom of the sea just off the beach waiting to be scooped up by any snorkeler who passed by. "Pieces of Eight" reinforces part of that childhood fantasy about gold and adventure while dispelling the part about it being an easy endeavor.

The book tells the story of the Real Eight Corporation, a group of men led by Kip Wagner who banded together to salvage gold, silver, and other artifacts from several wrecks of the 1715 fleet that came to grief off the Atlantic coast of Florida around Vero Beach. As Wagner unfolds the story the reader is swept up in the frustration, excitement, and the very laborious work of salvaging a number of sites. "Glamorous" is not a word that comes to mind we follow the trials and tribulation of the group from initial probes on a beach for isolated coins to several near shore sites in relatively shallow water plauged by confused seas, low visibility, and ever present sharks. The story rekindled some of that excitement I experienced as a boy looking at the coins and other treasure in those well worn magazines. Given the high tech search and recovery techniques used by salvors today, the strategies employed by the Real Eight team seem downright primitive, at a time when technology was an improvised necessity is the mother of invention operation. But, the book descibes an evolutionary strategy starting with a hit and miss approach to working a site which evolves into a methodical, systematic way of working the site.

The Florida described in the book with its deserted beaches seems quite distant and distinct from the coastal areas of today's Sunshine state. What remains constant is the thrill that treasure hunting still engenders in my soul rekindled by this book.

Wagner writes that there are supposed to be four types of treasure seekers
1. The armchair adventurer who draws excitement from the written word; interest is whetted by a mere hint; active imagination takes over from there. Me as a boy and me today.
2. Scientist or historic researcher who cares nothing about finding gold, but derives pleasure from proving or disproving, from identifying and cataloging. Me as an adult, at least for a few years of my life (yep, I was real lucky).
3. Active adventurers, modern day soldiers-of-fortune look for treasure but really are seeking adventure. They run down any rumor, pursue any legend, often without checking its authenticity. Clive Cussler, except he does his research!
4. Hardened professionals who bring vital resources of business to bear on the glamorous world of treasure. They assemble he proper supplies and equipment, gather experienced crews,research legally, take proper legal steps, and commit a major outlay of capital. Real Eight including Mel Fisher.

Those of us who aspire to be or remain at least one of the four will enjoy the book.

Sadly real life treasure hunting is mostly drudgery. I have been on the periphery of a couple, and not once did Jessica Alba swim by a la Into the Blue.

into-blue.jpg

Argosy and True treasure stories are what got me down to FL 35 yrs ago.

If you liked Pieces of Eight, check out Marty Meylachs "Diving to a flash of Gold" He got into a P*ssing contest with the state of FL and in the end published where all the wrecks were that he knew of. FL tried to stop publication of the maps. The book was worth a couple hundred dollars after it went out of publication because of the maps. It's now out in paperback with the map.

(edit: Time flies, it was in paperback in 1987, it's out of print again)

Last edited:
I've worked the 1715 wreck sites for the past 15 years and don't have much to show for it, except a lot of bottom time, interesting stories, and a few fond memories of treasure. Our boat the "RPM" has always cost us more to run than the value of what we find, but on the other hand I have the distinct feeling that few others can claim to have worked in so poor a viz (zero to 1 foot) as I have for so many calmative hours.
When old Kip was diving the bottom off Sebastian Beach was covered with gold, but it is finite and once it is scooped up it isn’t replenished. We have found silver coins, gold jewelry, and a few interesting encrusted objects. What really is disgusting is how the State of Florida will take their 25% (we did the entire work, spent all of the time and resources) and then they will put it in the State Museum* without even attributing to the diver or the M/V that found it. The attitude is – “It belongs to Florida”. The heck it does. It belongs to the Peruvians, Bolivians, Mexicans, Colombians, Ecuadorian, and other indigenous people of South America from who the Spanish stole the resources from. The Spanish government has laid claim to all of the wrecks in America waters saying that they never abandoned them so anything recovered from them is theirs. I want to do a class action suit against Spain demanding that all of the riches they removed from South America be returned as stolen property. Two problems with my idea, first the gold, silver, emeralds, are long gone. Oh sure, there are “examples” of these riches still in existence, but the bulk, the millions of peso of gold and silver is long long gone. Secondly, all of the other governments (including the U.S.) hold similar claims. Warships sunk and forgotten, airplanes, etc. were never decommissioned and therefore property of the U.S. This recently was invoked as the French government (sport divers) found the CSA Alabama (civil war blockade runners) remains in their waters.
In short, another freedom has been stripped away by the bureaucrats who goals are to take and use what wasn’t theirs, and that which they didn’t work for - away from those that have invested in the recovery.
* Much of the State’s plunder remains unaccounted for. Rare coins, jewelry and unique objects have simply disappeared from the shelves in Tallahassee.

Attachments

• Ingot1.jpg
    Ingot1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 162
Argosy and True treasure stories are what got me down to FL 35 yrs ago.

If you liked Pieces of Eight, check out Marty Meylachs "Diving to a flash of Gold" He got into a P*ssing contest with the state of FL and in the end published where all the wrecks were that he knew of. FL tried to stop publication of the maps. The book was worth a couple hundred dollars after it went out of publication because of the maps. It's now out in paperback with the map.

(edit: Time flies, it was in paperback in 1987, it's out of print again)

Recently found it in a used book store and its the next on my list to read.

Back
Top Bottom