Pictures from Cozumel last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great shots! Going to Coz in September and looking forward to it!

How is that DS51 working out with the DS125? I was thinking about going that route.
I actually have not had a chance to try them both together yet. I added the DS-125 to my existing DS-51 and am waiting until I get to Curacao in Aug to try it.

I do have the short port. I really don't have a problem with vignetting especially in the photos I posted. Do you think otherwise? It is a very fine point that you have to zoom too to keep it from happening. I found that zooming to far will cause it. Not zooming at all will show black corners of the lens such as un-cropped Eel photo above. I'd just forget to zoom in a bit after changing the camera's battery as it would reset it back to fully wide and it would be difficult to see on the 3-inch screen.
I don't have to zoom with the INON WA lens. In fact in WA, I don't zoom at all. Prefer to crop after the fact. The black corners must be something the Ikelite WA has or maybe there is a lens hood that isn't oriented right??

I don't know about you, but when I set the manual white balance on this camera it is oversaturated with reds so I just shoot with the Underwater WB mode and I'm pleased with it.
Yep.. Manual WB is not a good idea with a strobe. I use cloudy or Auto when using strobe, and do manual WB when not using strobe, but I also always shoot RAW.

I shoot in Aperture Priority mode adjusting the f-stop based on the subject with an occasional yank on the compensation and let the camera do the rest for TTL, ISO and shutter speed. I should have included the settings with each picture. Now it would be a pain to do so especially since I cannot edit the original posts but here's a few examples:

Spotted Drum: F/8, 1/60 sec, ISO-200, exposure -.3 ..Probably could have used a faster shutter.
Yellow Stingray: f/3.2, 1/251 sec, ISO-80, exposure 0
Seahorse: f/8, 1/60 sec, ISO-80, exposure -.3 ..Probably should have opened up the aperture a bit.
Electric Ray: f7.1, 1/79 sec, ISO-160, exposure -.3 ..Looks like an aberration with the red saturation on the sand or perhaps a shadow cast from my strobe?

Let me know if there is a specific one you'd like the settings for.
Thanks, I was used to using all manual with my previous setup and am still getting used to TTL with the Ikelite housing. I now jump between aperture and shutter priority depending on how "fidgety" my subject is. I didn't realize the camera would set your ISO for you. I'm not sure I like that.

I actually have not had a chance to try them both together yet. I added the DS-125 to my existing DS-51 and am waiting until I get to Curacao in Aug to try it.
Awesome! I cannot wait to see your results and hear your thoughts.
I don't have to zoom with the INON WA lens. In fact in WA, I don't zoom at all. Prefer to crop after the fact. The black corners must be something the Ikelite WA has or maybe there is a lens hood that isn't oriented right??
No hood or misorientation... I think it's common to have to zoom a bit with the Ike lens. Zooming was a whole new concept for me as well because I never used to do it that's why so many of my shots needed to be cropped.
Ugh... I held out as long as I could for an Inon lens but just could never find a good used one. I picked up the Ike W-20 WITH the short port off ebay for $175... I felt kinda bad because there were 0 other bidders so I may still look for the Inon one since this one was effectively $75. I was interested in the Inon for the ability to add the dome port to it for wider coverage.
Yep.. Manual WB is not a good idea with a strobe. I use cloudy or Auto when using strobe, and do manual WB when not using strobe, but I also always shoot RAW.
Yeah, but isn't it strange the the strobe fires when you set the manual WB? No telling at what power but I figured that would get a good read for WB. I'll have to try the settings you suggested but. I should be shooting in RAW as well but just never think about it.

I didn't realize the camera would set your ISO for you. I'm not sure I like that.
If you have it set to auto on the ISO dial than it'll pick for you otherwise you adjust it on your own. Sometimes I'll set it for a given subject then move to another subject and get frustrated with my results not realizing that my ISO is out of whack is still set from the previous shot I usually let the camera pick.

Cozu is my "must go" list! Nice shot of the Morray :)

Thanks for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom