Picture and video editing on iPad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok this may be a dumb question but keep in mind I'm a newbie...How do you know if your shooting RAW or jpeg images? I'll be using a SeaLife dc1400.

I use regularly an iPad 2nd generation to upload RAW images from a Canon S95, it is useful to start deleting pictures that are wrong however it only has 64GB so good for short trips only
In terms of editing it is not worth doing in my opinion however once you have done your screening you can then import into lightroom and will process RAW as it was importing from the original camera
For what concerns editing I do this with a laptop and then can use the ipad as presentation, snapseed is the best program but nowhere near what you can do in lightroom and I would only recommend that for your casual jpeg not for underwater RAW pictures needing work on white balance, sharpening etc

One thing I saw on the snapsea website, was that the files sizes for the IPAD original, were lower than my cell phone ( in the quality setting) --and that for the more recent IPADs it is still going to down-convert the full quality image to a much smaller and lower quality image--meaning you could not "Print" the photo much bigger than a post card or letter size without distortion.....versus a camera raw shot from a canon 5d that you white balance and color corect, tweak, then can print to larger than POSTER size... if you will never print the images bigger than a 5 by 7, the IPAD should be fine for stills.
Again, for video I would have to see it to believe it...editing video requires a powerful processor...eactually, even "playing" the mov file in HD without "stuttering" takes a fast read access( faster than many laptops are capable of)..editing is ten times harder on the computer.

Again, for video I would have to see it to believe it...editing video requires a powerful processor...eactually, even "playing" the mov file in HD without "stuttering" takes a fast read access( faster than many laptops are capable of)..editing is ten times harder on the computer.
Stutter-free playback can be achieved by using a hardware H.264 decoder, which I believe all recent iDevices have. But yes, when you're editing, this goes out the window...

One thing I saw on the snapsea website, was that the files sizes for the IPAD original, were lower than my cell phone ( in the quality setting) --and that for the more recent IPADs it is still going to down-convert the full quality image to a much smaller and lower quality image--meaning you could not "Print" the photo much bigger than a post card or letter size without distortion.....versus a camera raw shot from a canon 5d that you white balance and color corect, tweak, then can print to larger than POSTER size... if you will never print the images bigger than a 5 by 7, the IPAD should be fine for stills.

What? The iPad doesn't magically down convert photos. I know, I have one. It's not doing that.

Maybe you need to use a better app?

What? The iPad doesn't magically down convert photos. I know, I have one. It's not doing that.

Maybe you need to use a better app?
You probably have the new one, and or a camera that shoots smaller files...mine average about 21 megs...
From the website : iPhone and iPad Support | Snapseed
In Snapseed, what resolution are my photos saved as?Any photos enhanced with Snapseed will be saved at the same resolution as the original photo up to what your iPad will allow. An iPad 1 can save an image up to 6.25 megapixels, an iPad 2 can save an image up to 16 megapixels, and an iPad 3rd Generation can save up to 20.25 megapixels. If your image is larger than your iPad supports, the image will be downsampled to the maximum supported megapixels. The details of the current image File Name, File Size, and Image Size can all be found in the Help dropdown menu.

Just out of curiosity, how consistent are ipads in color output from their screens? How close to any industry standard like srgb or adobe rgb are they or can they (can they even?) be calibrated?
If the answers wrong to THAT question, then the answer regardless of software in my book is "dont edit any video or photos on it"..

You probably have the new one, and or a camera that shoots smaller files...mine average about 21 megs...
From the website : iPhone and iPad Support | Snapseed
In Snapseed, what resolution are my photos saved as?Any photos enhanced with Snapseed will be saved at the same resolution as the original photo up to what your iPad will allow. An iPad 1 can save an image up to 6.25 megapixels, an iPad 2 can save an image up to 16 megapixels, and an iPad 3rd Generation can save up to 20.25 megapixels. If your image is larger than your iPad supports, the image will be downsampled to the maximum supported megapixels. The details of the current image File Name, File Size, and Image Size can all be found in the Help dropdown menu.
Not sure if it's relevant in this case, but when it comes to JPEG files, resolution isn't the only parameter. You also have the compression level ("quality") which doesn't affect resolution but does affect image quality. Good JPEG processing software allows you to adjust the quality level when saving a file.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom