Pics from Cypress and Becton Springs 6-19-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Patty.jpg

Bream.jpg

Cypress2.jpg

...and one from Becton, I thought it was pretty neat seeing the fresh spring water actually pushing the tannic water back, excuse the waterspots :p

Becton.jpg

Full Dive Report here

I think that particular picture wouldn't have been interesting at all without the diver in it. It would have made the dive site look much smaller and shallower than it really is(not that its really large or deep in the first place).

Good job, with the visibility that good UW, how does the surface look like? This looks like a great place for above and below, half and half shots. The type of pictures seen in travel mags.

Dive Safe

Whats the best way to go about taking an over/under shot? I've tried a few times, but my UW half ends up being too dark or the AW half ends up being blown out. Unfortunately, I don't remember what my settings were on the last time I tried a shot like that...

Maybe its time to try again :)

SuPrBuGmAn:
Whats the best way to go about taking an over/under shot? I've tried a few times, but my UW half ends up being too dark or the AW half ends up being blown out. Unfortunately, I don't remember what my settings were on the last time I tried a shot like that...

Maybe its time to try again :)

Well with film they used a custom-made screw-on lens filter. The top half, for above water had a neutral density filter that was cut in half, this would lower the light on the water surface by a stop or two, the bottom half or the UW part, had a close up lens cut in half.

With the lens and filter working together the boat or the shoreline subject will be in focus because you can focus to infinity while keeping the UW subject in focus due to the close-up lens. Then the exposure will also be balanced because the ND filter will balance the bright surface light with the darker UW light.

But that was then, lets fast forward the age of computers and cheat! Take an UW shot with the camera lens just below the surface then pop the lens above the surface readjust the focus and exposure and take a surface shot. Let the computer splice the two together.

You can even make it look realistic by including a water line or wave action. On second thought take the surface shot first to avoid the water drops, when taking the lens out of the water.

Oh, don't just take one shot each, bracket and take a dozen or so above and below.

Dive Safe

I'll give it a shot next time around. The spring can be picturesque ontop at times, then at times its overrun by the local necks :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom