Pics from Ambergris Caye and comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave C

Contributor
Reaction score
I started putting my photos on PBase a couple of years, and I've finally getting around to posting some of my older photos. I just posted some snorkeling pictures taken around Ambergris Caye from my last trip there four years ago: Belize underwater 2004 Photo Gallery by Dave_Clausen at pbase.com

I'm not sure if things underwater have changed much since then, but hopefully these will give some idea of what you can see when you snorkel around Ambergris Caye. I know ScubaBoard is for scuba divers, but some may find these of interest, especially if you have non-diving family members or friends accompanying you to Ambergris Caye.

I've taken two trips to Belize and have been to many other snorkeling localities in the Caribbean. Overall, I would rate Belize as the "fishy-est" place I've seen in the Caribbean. Hol-Chan was a great spot. Also, I've never seen as many nurse sharks as I saw in Belize. I don't think you can dip your head in the water without seeing a nurse shark! However, I'm not sure if I will go back to San Pedro again because I really like the freedom of "off-the-beach" snorkeling; to get to the good snorkeling near San Pedro, you have to take a boat tour to reach the reef. There is some modest snorkeling around some of the piers on Ambergris (when I was there, Ramon's was by far the best near town), but this just doesn't compare to what's farther offshore and only accessible by boat.

Here's few of the better pics:

Stingray at Shark-Ray Alley
large.jpg

Stingray close-up with remora attached, Ramon's Pier. I think the large opening behind the ray's eye is called the spiracle and is used for "breathing" (pumping water over the gills).
large.jpg

Grunts and brain coral at Shark-Ray Alley
large.jpg

Wrasses and sea fan at the northern end of Ambergris Caye
large.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom