Pics from amateur

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first digital was the 4040. One of the things that's most important in using it is to spend time with just you and the camera. Find out what the camera will do, use the internal flash, it's bright enough to produce great pictures but you have to be within 2 ft or so to get the full effect. Don't shoot down at the subject, it produces a flat boring picture. I try to plan my approach and shoot from the side as in a profile shot.

Most of the photos in this Roatan album are with the internal flash only. As you can see, you don't need $1000 worth of strobes! alot of people never use an external strobe at all, it depends on what you want out of the camera.

O.k so maybe you don't need a 1,000 bucks worth of strobe power but...

You notice that Dee uses a YS90DX and that's more like $670.00.

You can use the macro and use less light-it's better composition and needs less light but.......

Beyond a foot or two you loose so much light U.W. that you can't take good photos out of that range and many animals won't let you "sit" right on top of them.

A good camera deserves a good strobe-like the model Dee has.

YOU ARE HOOKED bmouth!!!

Might as well start saving for that strobe now.

Dee is very helpful and knows all with regards to U/W photos both film and digital. She helped me a lot.

My YS90DX strobe and FO kit was only $500. Buff, you need to learn how/where to shop! :wink: Seriously, I haven't seen them that cheap anywhere since then.

I have a 4040z in a Light and Motion Tetra housing and the Sea and Sea YS90DX strobe. It is a great setup. Here are some sample shots:

http://homepage.mac.com/therothschilds/scuba/PhotoAlbum161.html

Unless you are doing long shots using natural light (like # 1, #5 or #7) or are looking for nightime special effects (like #6, #9 or #14), you are NEVER going to get the colors you want without a good strobe. No amount of Photoshop magic will fix this, because the data simply isn't there.... trust me, I have tried!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom