Pics From A Beach Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRAZYBOBC

Reaction score
Was Wondering If Anyone As Any Experience With Taking Pics On A Beach Dive. Would A Throw Away Underwater Camera Work Or You Do You Need A Flash
Is The Vis Not Good For Throw Aways. What Kind Or Type Of Camera Would Suggest To A New A Diver Who Just Wants O Take Basic Pics From A Beach Dive. This Will Be Done On Long Island Either The Sound Or Atlantic.

CRAZYBOBC:
Was Wondering If Anyone As Any Experience With Taking Pics On A Beach Dive. Would A Throw Away Underwater Camera Work Or You Do You Need A Flash
Is The Vis Not Good For Throw Aways. What Kind Or Type Of Camera Would Suggest To A New A Diver Who Just Wants O Take Basic Pics From A Beach Dive. This Will Be Done On Long Island Either The Sound Or Atlantic.

I have a Canon Digital Elph (S400 as I recall) that I bought for general snapshot stuff... I ended up buying an enclosure for it for around $160 (I think the camera was around $360 or so)...

to get to your point, if you actually want to freeze motion a real flash is more or less mandatory underwater... it also depends on how much you want to alter percieved color...

I have some great pics but they are all blue/green without the fancy strobe :)

The on camera flash is nearly worthless after about 2 ft. YMMV

I should add that most of my dives end up being in the 70-130ft range which does affect the light quite a bit.

There is a good sticky on the basic question of which camera for what sort of underwater photography at the beginning of the Underwater Photography forum. Although I think the view that a strobe is not really necessary is in situations where the visibility is quite good!

I think on shallow dives like that there is enough light. The strobe may actually make your shots worse, by causing back scatter.

Last time I was in Aruba I shot without a strobe to about $60 and think the shots actually came out better than with the strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom