Pick one spot at Bali - Tulamben or Nusa Penida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi - First of all, a big thank to everyone on this board who shares great diving tips and info. I've been a lurker on this board for a while and went on 2 dive trips based on recommendations from this board. Right now I am planning my honeymoon during August 08. Unfortunately I only have 1 week's time for honeymoon and the trip will be based out of Hong Kong. (I actually live in New York but getting married in HK) Right now I am toying with the idea of going to Bali, splitting the trip into 2 halves, first half staying at a dive resort and a second half at a typical honeymoon villa (thinking somewhere in Ubud right now). Since Bali is so large I have to pare down to one dive location. I read that a lot of people go to Tulamben, but will mola mola be in season when we are there (in some books I read it's Feb, some says Aug/Sept)? If so it sounds like we should dive Nusa Penida and stay around there? Some background info - my husband-to-be and I are both are intermediate divers (around 50 dives) - we dove Grand Cayman, Belize, Alona Beach and Sipadan with Sipadan being our favorite so far. My husband-to-be likes to take pictures but he is not very good at spotting macro stuff yet, so we definitely need a guide to help out. (Because of this he hasn't really fall in love with marco diving yet) He is also a pretty lazy/wussy diver, so I need to pick a resort on the more luxurious end (he loved staying at SMART but wasn't so happy when we stayed at a 25USD a night place at Alona beach). Since it's our honeymoon I already have clearance to book whatever place I like so budget is not an issue. Any recommendation for dive shops/hotels is appreciated?

I could choose to dive for the whole week at both places but that's probably too hard-core for a honeymoon.... :wink:

Molas are better in Sept-Nov, and water temps in Nusa Penida at that time are around 16-21C or in the 60s F. In Tulamben is around 28C or 80+F. I would choose Tulamben! haha

ALso, you get a better variety of things up there. If you dive with Bali Hai they have fast boats and can take you to all dive sites in the area. Stay at Mimpi and dive with Bali Hai would be my suggestion for Tulamben.

Stay in Tulamben warm water a lot more to see. Do a day trip to Nusa Penida that water is Cold and deep diving. I have never seen much there other than the Mola Molas and it is worth the dive!

Do a search on SB for trip reports regarding the Tulamben area there are some very nice places to stay. I have stayed in Amed....but that is about a 30 minute drive a day so stay in Tulamben....have fun...Bali is very under rated diving and Tulamben is shore diving lots of pebbles to walk on so wear thick booties......this is how your tanks get from one end of the beach to the other:wink:

Attachments

• Bali 064-e.jpg
    Bali 064-e.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 215
From a diving standpoint, my vote is also for Tulamben (warm water and lots of stuff to see) with perhaps a day trip to Nusa Penida if you want to take a chance at the Mola-Molas.

As for dive operation, myself, I was quite content with the local resort DMs - they dive those waters pretty much everyday so they know where the critters are.

I stayed at Tauch Terminal in Tulamben the two times I've been there, and the rooms are nice, with ensuite bath and AC; but I think that Mimpi is a bit nicer for a honeymoon. Those two are in my opinion, the best accommodations in Tulamben. Obviously neither one compares to a luxurious hotel in the more touristy areas of Denpasar.

Be forewarned that at either resort, you may get mosquitoes. As I recall, the bathrooms at Mimpi are also ensuite but the shower is open-air, which is kinda neat, but could mean a blood donation everytime you go in. You may want to check this out.

As an aside, I suspect that you and your SO may be Chinese, and if you are, you probably know that one of the delicacies often served at Chinese banquets is Roast Suckling Pig. The sale of roast suckling pig has been banned at least here in Boston and, as best as I know, throughout the US, due to the outcry of animal protection groups who are against the cruelty and suffering imparted on the animal (as if the adult pigs will squeal any less, but that's a separate discussion).

In any case, if you happen to be in Ubud, I am told that you MUST try the Balinese Roast Suckling Pig, otherwise known as Babi Guling, and the place to do it in Ubud is called Ibu Oka. Anthony Bourdain of the Travel Channel program "No Reservations" rated it the best roast pig he has ever tasted. And when you get back, please let me know about the Babi Guling.

I agree, Mimpi is the best accomodation in Tulamben. Choose the ocean view cottage, more spacious room with gazebo facing to beach, 20 m from the house reef, 20 m from the restaurant.

If budget is not an issue and you want to have a real luxury, you may consider Amankila - Luxury resort hotel Bali - home
very beautiful and luxury resort resort, not far from padang bai / candi dasa and use a private cruise to cross to Nusa Penida.
I never stay there:(; just stopped-by when on the way to Tulamben; I don't think my wife will happy if I spend 1500 bucks per night :11:for suite with private pool:eyebrow:

Cheers

Thanks for all the great tips! Yes we are Chinese and I'll definitely try the Suckling Pig while I am there. (So odd how foie gras is considered ok but baby pigs are not in the US - heck at least they are not forced fed everyday!) Uhmm... my finace has a very weak spot for comfort so I am sure he would say ok to Amankila..... although I don't see the point of blowing 1000+ USD a day when you are out dive half the day. Uhmmm.... better not tell him

I looked at Mimpi Tulamben and Scuba Seraya, both places look good. although I also checked out the Mimpi Menjangan and it looks very nice too. How is the diving in Menjangan vs Tulamben. I read mixed reviews on Menjangan. Is Tulamben the must do place if you are only staying at one diving place?

The issue that I see is that if you use Mejangan as your dive base, doing Nusa Penida as a day trip, assuming that you still want to try your luck with the mola-molas, becomes much harder (not sure if even available) because it's a long drive.

As I see it, I would definitely say yes as far as Tulamben being the must-do place if I was only staying at one diving place. There is so much to see just diving the three main dive sites there, and Seraya is just a short hop away.

I know that I previously recommended Mimpi as the nicer of the Tulamben resorts but I just looked at the Tauch Terminal site and they're undergoing some serious renovations, and it may be worthyour consideration. Take a look for yourself - scroll down to the news item dated 26.01.08.

Bali last minute holiday vacation Bali Indonesia

I normally like to dive Nusa Pendida because it is so accessible as a day trip while still staying in town. A day trip to Tulamben is too hectic but staying there is not especially desirable due to the lack of after-dive activities. Food is also not so good because they only cater to divers.

None of the resorts in Tulamben can compare to ones you can find in Legian, Ubud or Nusa Dua. Aman Kila is 45 minutes away so still not too bad if that is the alternative.

Uhmm you guys are really making me change my mind day to day. My SO is a huge wuss so if I tell him the food is going to suck, then it will refuse to stay at Tulamben. I just can't justify staying at the Amankila if I'll be out diving half the time! If I am paying 1000 USD per day for a room then I'd better be there vegging all day! Uhmm... tough decision.

Thanks for the info on Tauch Terminal. If anyone has been there recently, does anyone know when the new construction will be done? Seems like everything is just torn apart at this point.

Lol, sorry if I sounded too extreme. The food in Tulamben doesn't suck but would not be something you'll remember or can compare to food that you get in town.

Tulamben is almost 100% catered for and visited by divers and their main motivation is not food.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom