Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, I would like to let everyone know that I'm not very experienced, just got my "open water" cert last year and only have about 4 dives under my belt. However, I'm planning on a trip to Phuket by the end of June or early July. Is that a good time to dive there? Also, could anyone recommend any good dive shop/hotel in the area? And are their rental equipments reliable? I know it is always better to have my own, but I still have to shop for my BC & Reg.

Any kind of help is appreciated.
Chocolate

Hello Chocolate,

I have no idea about the weather in June or July - I was there at the end of December and early January.

I did a 5 day liveaboard with Anadaman Divers http://www.andamandivers.com/.

At that point I didn't have my own gear so I rented all but my fins, mask and snorkel. Any gear that you get is going to be faded - the lovely salt water will do that in no time.

For hostels/hotels check out the Lonely Planet Thailand. On special currently at

http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/product_detail.cfm?productID=2271&affil=lpfpfb

It was a great help. We didn't pay more than $5 U.S. for a 2 queen bed room while we were travelling.

The diving was amazing - I can still remember the 7' manta's swimming over us.

Sorry Chocolate, no mantas in June or July, but the diving is still very nice. The problem might be though, that the weather can be not very nice, since you are coming to Phuket in the rainy season. This does not affect the diving too much, only if there is too much wind we don't go out any more, but that hardly ever happens. And if it does: normally in August/September.

The vis is good, there won't be too many divers or boat traffic, and there will be plenty of marine life. But the weather? It can be good and it can be bad.

Rental gear is with almost all diveshops perfectly ok. If it has been used 1 season already, it will be faded, but still good and reliable.

There is another thread about diving in Thailand just a bit further down, this may also help you.

"Sorry Chocolate, no mantas in June or July"

Weeeell, actually the Greta (day trip boat) saw a Manta yesterday at Racha Yai. A rather unusual sighting at that dive site. That might be your best dive spot as a novice, especially if you've not dived since last year. Easy drift dive along a nice hard coral reef.

Equipment - whichever dive shop you book with, ASK TO SEE THE EQUIPMENT if it worries you. You should be able to try on the gear at the shop to be sure you get what you feel comfortable with.

Happy diving!

Well, if June/July is not the ideal time to dive in Phuket, when shall I go?

Also, where else would you recommend if not Phuket. I'm from Hong Kong and don't want to travel too far and am on a tight budget.

Cheers

If you don't mind an occasional rainshower (if you're unlucky it can be overcast for a couple of days in a row), June/July is excellent for diving. Not too many other divers, nearly no boat traffic and lots of things to see. Just no spectacular things like manta's (normally that is, although there is always a chance especially at Racha Noi - the Plateau).
If you want to be sure you'll have plenty of sun, you could consider going to Malasia, I'm sure there are lots of others on this forum that could help you out with the best divesites for e new diver.

I recomend a liveaboard to the simalin islands. You can set this up in Phucket. Good vis (not sure about that time of year though), lots of fish, chance of whale sharks.

Otherwise, the diving right out of Phuket is not as good as the Similan Islands and is all done by a couple of cattle boats (does not matter what shop you book it through, it will be on the same boat). It is a full day of shuttle bus transfering to a big slow boat. Long ride out, 30 divers in, 30 divers out, long boat ride back, long shuttle bus, late night dinner and bed - you won't want to get a lot of dives in at this pace. Othewise the sites have lots of fish but poor vis.

champ:
I recomend a liveaboard to the simalin islands. You can set this up in Phucket. Good vis (not sure about that time of year though), lots of fish, chance of whale sharks.

Otherwise, the diving right out of Phuket is not as good as the Similan Islands and is all done by a couple of cattle boats (does not matter what shop you book it through, it will be on the same boat). It is a full day of shuttle bus transfering to a big slow boat. Long ride out, 30 divers in, 30 divers out, long boat ride back, long shuttle bus, late night dinner and bed - you won't want to get a lot of dives in at this pace. Othewise the sites have lots of fish but poor vis.

Ay Ay Ay. Let's look at these points one by one..

In June/July there are just a couple of Similan liveaboards, vis will be just as good as any other time of year, but seas may be a wee bit rough. Not suitable for a beginner such as Chocolate. The main liveaboard season is November - April, with some in October and May. And I agree, this is the best diving in Thailand.

While we're on the subject...An Open Water diver with a few dives under their belt and considering a liveaboard is wise to a) do a scuba review before the trip, and maybe a nice easy day trip, and b) take the advanced open water course on the boat to ensure proper supervision and training. A liveaboard has night dives, deep dives and some variable currents. Its not all easy drifts along the reef. For your safety and peace of mind, get the extra training. You'll enjoy the trip more.

Diving day trips from Phuket...Not true that there are a "couple of cattle boats". There are at least 15 or 20 day trip boats and you will not be on the same one no matter where you book it. Some shops have their own boats, some are agents and can give you a choice of boats to various sites. The peak season is more crowded, and sure you can have 30 divers on the boat - but you don't dive as a group of 30. You should still have a DM fo every 4/5 divers. If not then make a fuss. Summer is very empty. Many trips going out with just a few divers on board. A 2 tank day trip to somewhere like Koh Racha Yai is not a long trip and you normally get back 3-4pm so no late dinners. Some trips like 3/4 dives at Phi Phi or Racha Noi will get back late, but often offer dinner on the boat. Be sure you know what you are booking.

Long shuttle bus? Depends where you stay. Day trips leave from Chalong. If you stay in Kata or Karon, you shouldn't have more than 20 minutes ride. Patong is further, Kamala further still, and if you stay at the JW Marriott, well thats a looong way.

Slow boat? Yes many of the dive boats are not fast. There is very little speedboat diving here, since a speedboat can only take a few divers and would thus be really expensive. However some of the newer day trip boats are faster, and there is a real nice fast boat run by Andaman Scuba. Also, I know the Greta day trip boat run by Calypso is much faster that it used to be since they put in new engines.

Poor vis? Racha Yai typically 20m or more. Racha Noi ususally 30m. Places like King Cruiser/Shark Point can be bad, less than 10m, or can be good depending on currents, weather etc..Phi Phi also varies from clear as day to murky. I had some dive there last season that I called "National Geographic" dives. Clear blue water and leopard sharks doing figure of eights infront of us...It all depends on the day.

Just my 5 cents worth..

We dove from Phuket just last month... (Oct)
it was great... though the vis was pretty bad at Anemone Reef and Shark, better, but not great at most of the other sites: Koh Bida Nok/Noi, Racha Yai, Phi Phi, Racha Noi (what a current the day we went!); no mantas to be seen!
Don't miss a night dive - unforgettable!

We had 4mm full-body suits, masks, snorkel, fins. We observed one bloke diving without a suit - he had no qualms or complaints - not recommended as your suit also protects you from anemones and some scrapes. We also experienced lots of tiny jellyfish during two out of 8 days of diving... got a few stings on the face from that- nothing serious.

We heard from at least two experienced divers there that it's more beautiful and worthwhile to do the Similan Islands, however you mentioned a budget so it seems you'd benefit from shopping around. What's difficult is counting on the weather to cooperate with your plans, but even worse is the underwater vis as we found this most frustrating.

By the way , we loved See-Bees.com - they were first-rate great! We booked through Orca here in Germany but the price seemed reasonable. From my experience you usually get what you pay for...
john

Champ - Sims in June/July.

Two years ago I went in August - all I can say is I had the worst dive trip I have ever had and the sea conditions were terrible (diving sucked also to be honest).

After the experience I will never do a planned dive trip to the Sims out of season again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom