Phuket trip in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeqP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am planning a trip to Phuket in April with my girlfriend and would like people's opinion on a few of items.
1)Has anyone stayed at the Coral Island Resort or Panwa Beach resort? If so please let me know if you recommend either & why or why you don't recommend them.
2) what other hotels do you recommend? My girlfriend doesn't dive and would probably lounge on the beach while I go diving, so she wants to make sure that she'll be safe on the beach by herself.
3) what dive operations do you recommend and approximately how much in USD do they cost and how many dives?
4) Any other information or websites that you can direct me to are greatly appreciated.
5) Is it better to rent a car or just use a taxi to get around Phuket?

Happy diving,
Phil

Hi, I don't know anything about that area, other than the Tsunami... I hope you have a great time and would just like to encourage you maybe pack a few extras.... I'm sure there's great need and it would be appreciated!

http://www.scubaboard.com/t85260-.html

If your GF doesn't want to dive, and would like relax on the beach or go to a spa, then I'd recommend Phi Phi Island Village Resort. It's more than the hotels that you listed, but Phi Phi Island Village Resort has it's own private beach/bay. Only people there are guests of the resort. Phi Phi Island Village also has their own dive shop.

We recently dove with West Coast Divers this past November. Large boat, but it's one of the first to leave the harbour. We had a good time, but can't really compare them to the other dive ops in the area. However, Sunrise Divers and Sea Bees are members of ScubaBoard, and should have some good insight and recommendations. Next time I'm in Phuket, I'll book with them since they're here on the board. Hopefully do a liveaboard to Similans.

I was at Phi Phi last week. The devastation (thats the only word I can use to describe it) is in the central part of the island where the two beaches meet, the rest of the island appears virtually untouched. The central section of the isloand holds just two multi storey structures standing, everything else has gone (literally) and clean up crews are removing the rubble that remains onto barges. Its an extremely sad sight.

If it was me I would stay on Phuket island - that seems fully back to normal.

I dove around the area and TBH there is none to very little UW damage on the islands surrounding Phi Phi, further south of Phi Phi there was zero damage UW.

Of the 2 places you mention, I would stay at Panwa Beach. First of all it is a real hassle to go anywhere from Coral Island, and even arranging the diving is difficult, since the diveboats have to come to coral island first to pick you up, or you have to travel to Phuket in the early morning to make sure you're there in time for the boats.
Disadvantage fro Panwa: most operators will charge you extra for pick up, but: the hotel is excellent, nice area to stay, just not much else to do but relax. Nice, private beach.

If you want to stay in a more lively area with more options for your girlfriend, consider staying in Kata or Karon Beach. Most of the hotels here though won't be directly on the beach as the Cape Panwa is.

Operators: I would say see answer # 2, ae3753. Prices depend on the quality of the operation, the destination and the number of dives. Prices start at 1900 Baht for 2 dives at Racha Yai up to 3500 Baht for a 4 tank diveday. If you want to make a daytrip to the Similans prices go up further.

If I were you I would rent a car to find your way around the island, especially if you're staing at Panwa, quite far away from the rest. But if you don't feel really comfortable on the road here, than don't and simply use public transportation or rent a car with driver for the day or a taxi.

Good to hear BTW somebody is coming again to Phuket, the best way to support the people living here, both the Thai and the expats.

Have fun,
Steven

TeqP
I would suggest you stay on Phuket like stevenl says, it's easier to get to Ao Chalong from the main island. Also your gf will have choice to do more stuff than just lounge at the beach.
Cape Panwa is a nice area(i'm thinking of getting property there) but there isn't a spa on the resort premises, if I'm not wrong. Don't know about your gf, but mine would appreciate a spa and proximity to other activities besides beach. There's fun sightseeing around the area and in Phuket Town from Panwa. The more scenic beaches are on the west coast though. Laem Sing has reopened (with all those darn restaurants and chairs!)
I would check with travel agents and online for great deals for the nicer hotels/resorts now. Even the banyan tree is going for $100 a night... and that's a 5 * hotel that is private, yet close to shopping (and street shopping) and has a great beach (even after the tsunami). It has a very nice spa on premises. My buddies from Singapore just stayed there for 5 nights at those prices.
One last thing is that you have to be able to drive right hand drive vehicles on the left side of the road. Sounds simple but you don't know how many stupid accidents occur with european/us tourists who can't seem to drive on the left side of the road. I say this only because I see you are from CA. Also the scooters here have right of way and road rules are stretched a bit. It's not chaos but certainly not like driving on the 60 either.
If you want to be more central, stay around Kata Noi/Karon area. There's plenty to do for the gf and the beaches are excellent. No need for a car to get around except for the occasional taxi to get out of the area.

Thank you all for the quick and informative replys.
AmyJ - We didn't even think about doing this, but now we plan on taking some extras to try & help out.

I think it will be best for us to use a taxi instead of me driving (or trying to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road & car :wink: )

I will look at the Banyan Tree. I'm sure my gf will love the spa (that's all she did in Jamaica).
We looked at the Palm garden Resort in the Kata area and would like some input on this hotel if anyone has experience.
I am trying to convince my gf to go on a liveaborad to the Similans for a 2-3 day trip.

One last question, is it better to book the hotel through a travel agent in the US or book directly with the hotel online?

Again, thank you all for the responses.

Phil

Nice hotel, I only have positive remarks from my guests. Close to the beach as well.

I think if you check sawadee.com you will get good prices, normally better than the hotel directly, sometimes better than travel agents back home.

The 3 days/2 nights liveaboards are nice, long enough to get a good impression of the diving at the Similans, and not too long for somebody who does not dive to get bored. She can always go snorkeling, and the atmosphere on the boats is normally excellent. Also the boats are comfortable, so she'll have a good time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom