Phuket - Price Negotiability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steven, I'm sorry for not communicating better. When I asked if the question was about the prices for diving or packages, I meant, dives only vs dives/hotel package. Is that more clear?

Steven, I'm sorry for not communicating better. When I asked if the question was about the prices for diving or packages, I meant, dives only vs dives/hotel package. Is that more clear?
Yes, more clear, thanks. But you'd have to ask the travel agent.

Diving prices will go up, so the combination diving/accommodation most likely as well

Boat operators will raise prices per 1 September.
Rather strange to put up the price during low season.
More incentive to go to Phuket during low season as long as one is not looking to dive Similan and doesn't mind a bit of rain. When the hotel room is about 25% of what they normally charged.

Rather strange to put up the price during low season.
More incentive to go to Phuket during low season as long as one is not looking to dive Similan and doesn't mind a bit of rain. When the hotel room is about 25% of what they normally charged.
Less boat capacity due to maintenance, makes a lot of sense to do it now.

Both Sea Bees and Dive Asia have not altered their daily diving rates between now to end of Oct. However, no rate is quoted from 01st Nov onward.
Does it make any differences when they have their own boats?

Both Sea Bees and Dive Asia have not altered their daily diving rates between now to end of Oct. However, no rate is quoted from 01st Nov onward.
Does it make any differences when they have their own boats?
My guess would be they will change the agent rate 1 September, and retail prices 1 October or 1 November.

But yes, it will change.

FWIW, I paid 32700 baht for a liveaboard trip to Similans and Richelieu Rock in April this year (superior cabin on MV Pawara by West Coast Divers), and the next season's prices are advertised at 34700 baht for the same cabin - with a 10% discount if booked before end of August.

Anyone thinking to go diving in Phuket between now and end of Oct should contact the operator and obtain a "written" quote asap.
I will keep my eyes for cheap flight from HKG to HKT next June onward.

Let give you a tip - I did diving vacations at Phuket for 5 years during peak season and always booked the quoted price in advance around the same time I book my flight tickets to Phuket - to ensure I arrive at least a day or two before and plan the departure flight 48hrs after, and so I always paid the quoted price published on the website. This was to ensure the boat was not full given that I always dived there during peak season X'Mas and NYE, given my limited day stays. However strolling around Phuket during the off-dive days - I invariably used to come across dive shops with a handwritten/printed discount signboard hung at the door - for last-minute bookings on some dive boat for the next (few) day(s) at a generous discount. So it all depends on how much time you have for your vacation. If you are like many westerners, on a long-stay trip in S.E Asia and flexible about your fly in and out dates with many off-days to spare, just fly down and bike around the place as you window-shop. You are bound to find a next-day deal. If the schedule is tight however then one may not be so lucky.

PS: The quoted price anticipates a request for discounts in most cases, but not by much. I always ask for a discount via the email thread and IIRC usually get a ~5% (or more perhaps) off in the reply - YMMV.

Cheers
P

In my limited experience for Koh Tao, not Phuket, I told the shop that I was diving for two weeks so they suggested I get an unlimited two week pass, one of their offerings. I calculated out that the break even point was 25 dives. That's about 2 dives per day over 14 days. The shop offers 4 dives a day, with up to 5 on days with night dives. I took full advantage of the unlimited aspect. I got my discount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom