Phuket liveaboards (November)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'll be diving the Similans, Koh Bon, etc. in November and I wonder if snyone have any comments about the following liveaboards: MV Black Manta, MV Marco Polo, MV Daranee, MV Parinee, MV Explorer?

I've already checked schedules and prices -- what I'm interested in is your opinions of the cabins/beds, quality of food, quality of service, whether it's crowded and cramped getting kitted up, and whatever else you think might be pertinent.

Also, I've heard from friends that some Phuket dive operations will give professional courtesy discounts to scuba instructors -- anyone know anything about that (such as which companies will do it, the size of the discount, etc.)?

Finally, what are the conditions likely to be in mid-November -- can I expect the mantas I saw there in February; what will the viz be like; etc. etc.?

Much obliged for whatever info yall can pass along.

Mid November: normally no manta's, but better visibility than you had last year in February.

Boats: on the Marco Polo all other guests will be Germans, the Parinee I do not offer because IMO the boat does not offer value for money, the Daranee is good value for money, as is the Explorer (less guests than the Daranee but a bit more expensive), the Black Manta is of a different class than the other boats you mention.

I would recommend Explorer or Black Manta, depending on what you're looking for.

Of the boats you select, I also recommend Black Manta or Explorer - well, OK I recommend Black Manta - big boat, very nice cabins, very well run. What are your exact dates - there are bound to be other good options... Black Manta is already full for a couple of trips in November, so you may need a backup plan!

black manta is a class above the others

wouldn't hold your breath for sightings of manta's although you may be lucky

Thanks for the info, folks. I'm looking foward to seeing the Andaman Sea again!

I will be due to arrive in phuket on the 1st of Nov and intend to book a 4d/4n liveaboard (MV West Coast Explorer) which departs on the 3rd of Nov. I'm sadddened to heard that manta sightings will be a challenge...sigh, it has always been my dream! Oh well, i'm sure similans and koh bon dive sites will nonetheless a breathtaking experience! Btw, any reasonably priced resorts worth staying at in phuket?

there is a huge choice and there should still be plenty of space in Nov

Some of the bigger online booking agents are

directrooms
hotel travel network
asia rooms

Back
Top Bottom