Phucket - What a disgusting island full of scammers and conmen. AVOID AVOID AVOID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,
3 days into my trip to Phucket.

1) So far, I have a 600 euro charge on my credit card which I know nothing about. Will have to report this as fraud
when I get home to get the money back, and has wiped out a lot of available credit for my holiday.

2) Went to a petrol station and saw the little prick put in 20 litres of gas. He then cleared the meter and tried to charge
me 1500 baht when the total cost should have been closer to 900 baht. He finally relented after a tourist police officer (who
didn't really give a $hit either) arrived.

3) 500 baht to get from the airport to my hotel. Now I am being quoted prices of 1400 baht to get back, and there are NO
other transport options around here apart from car rental. Apparently this is normal because the taxis run a cartel
and governing forces on the island don't care what they charge or public transport. An Australian tourist was recently assaulted in a dispute over a fare. Lovely for a tourist to have dealings with the aptly named 'taxi mafia'.

4) The diving here is about twice the price as it is in the Gulf.

5) You have two extremes across various tourist resort locations - either completely dead at night or rotten excesses of the
likes of Patong beach where you get harassed every 30 seconds to see a ping pong show.

6) The island is horribly overly-developed, and there has obviously been zero regard for long term planning. Traffic control
is very poor with gridlock occuring at all hours of the day in numerous locations.

I suppose it is an ideal location if you're looking for a bad version of the Canary Islands, or some other tacky package holiday further abound. The land of smiles - where everyone wants to put their hand into your wallet simply because you're just a dumb farang.

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences, my knowledge of Phuket is somewhat limited compared to other locations in Thailand. Judging by what you have written here, please do not consider Pattaya as an alternative! You will hate it.

I must say my own impression of Patong were also not too favourable, but there are other places on the island, and indeed other parts of Thailand near to phuket that are very different.

Unless you know someone that can pick you up in Phuket I think you're pretty much stuck w/ the in/out taxi thugs for the airport. The Eastern side of Phuket has a lot to recommend it, rent a scooter, I'm sure you will form a better opinion of the area. There are a few areas in Thailand that attract the worst from society (Chaweng Beach, Pattaya, Patong) but w/ a little effort you can avoid the worst of those areas. Sorry the gas scam is common throughout the underdeveloped parts of Asia. It's not limited to Phuket (or even Thailand), always make sure they reset the meter before pumping and ask for a set amount of petrol. CC fraud is everywhere. you're quite right about the dive prices being too high, there are cheaper w/ higher quality diving countries out there. However if you factor in the differences in food/accommodations Thailand is still a pretty good place to go.

Actually yes StevenL must ammend that - when I fly into Phuket I do often stay a day or two in Kata rather than Patong.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds dive prices expensive on the West coast of Thailand.
I don't go that side anymore, I prefer Koh Tao and Koh Phangan for my Thailand dive trips - much cheaper trip all round and the dive sites aren't too bad either. The dive group that I was in had 2 dives with a Whale Shark at Chumphon Pinnacle on Easter Sunday last year – fantastic!

Just came across this reported 4 days ago.

For an elderly American woman who arrived alone on Phuket last January, the experience was a terrifying one, one that caused her to run out of the cab screaming for help once she reached her hotel. Prompted by the frightening experience, the woman called the US Embassy in Bangkok and reported that she had been kidnapped, according to an email sent to the Phuket Gazette.

“She was emotional and almost frantic,” the email said.

she was delivered to a travel agency, where she said she was “interrogated” about her personal information, such as where she came from and how long she planned to stay in Phuket. The agent told her that if she booked any trips, they had to be made through his agency.

When does a side-trip become an abduction? Two top legal officers in Phuket disagree on the answer.

Phuket Public Prosecutor Tawan Sukyiran did not mince his words. “This is a case of abduction according to the law,” he said.

Phuket NEWS: SPECIAL REPORT: Fears of Phuket abductions

You know you've got a serious image problem when you have legal experts arguing over whether if what happened to a terrified elderly lady on holiday by herself was technically an abduction or not. A place that treats it's visitors with such contempt doesn't deserve tourists.

Phuket was beautiful in 1987!!

Phuket was beautiful in 1987!!

As was most of Thailand. Then came the onset of mass tourism in it's worst form. Now with Thailand being promoted as a cheap package holiday destination in Russia and many Asian countries, things are only heading one way unfortunately.

The West coast of Koh Chang has completely changed in much less than 26 yrs.

Mass tourism is an ugly thing. Mass tourists themselves are a bit like dungbeetles- and if you hang out with them long enough, you're going to get dirty.

Travel OTOH is a wonderful thing which requires planning as well as the acceptance that not everything will go to plan. I went to Phuket alone one year- arrived in Patong.... and left the next day for Nayang (North Phuket) and visited the south as well. I'm constantly amazed (but sadly not surprised anymore) at people who choose to stay in a place that makes them so miserable.

Sorry you've had such a miserable time on Phuket, skydiver. It seems things have snowballed for you, unfortunately. I've had somewhat similar snowballing experiences at couple of times, the worst of them on a trip to London when I was living in Geneva, and as I had previously actually lived in London, I really didn't expect to have such a thoroughly bad holiday that time, but it did happen. I do think having the right expectations ahead of time and knowing what to watch out for help people have an enjoyable visit, no matter where they go, whether it's Phuket or London or Sydney or wherever.

I've never been to a place or lived in a place that wasn't a mixed bag. It comes down to selecting options that help you avoid the stuff you don't enjoy and focus on the stuff you do enjoy. For example, I detest Patong, myself, and rarely go there unless I have to meet a customer--certainly never without an excellent reason, and always reluctantly. I've helped people who have hauled up in Patong change their locations once they decided the place wasn't for them, and I've moved people out of the quieter parts of the island to the throbbing pulse of Patong when that was what they were after. I don't much like Kata or Karon, either, but that's me. Everybody's got different objectives, and there are options for each one. There's actually much more available here than the two extremes you mention for areas with lodgings, but maybe you were looking at a particular price point that doesn't lend itself to places outside those extremes.

I've not had the misfortune of fraudulent credit card charges to my account in the decade I've visited and lived on Phuket (though this has happened to me in Australia). I dealt with a scam attempt in Boston recently, but like you I am very vigilant, and was able to avoid the scam.

I have a driver I call to take me to the airport for not much more than the rate you paid to transfer to your hotel from the airport, and I call this driver to assist my own customers when they ask, so it seems that your airport transfer experience is a case of just asking the guesthouse reception to get your ride sorted out for you, and they have no particular interest in getting a reasonable rate for you since they probably get a commission on the sale and the driver might be a personal friend (whereas you're not).

I agree entirely with the comment about traffic and urban planning; it's frustrating, but when I came here to live, I adopted as my mantra 'I live on an island. I live on an island. I live on an island,' so that I didn't take on traffic-related stress. Now I just go with the flow, focus on my idyllic destination, and put the traffic out of my mind. Just like coping with the boredom of swimming laps for fitness, I let my mind relax.

The diving costs twice as much as in the gulf? What gulf? You list your location as Florida, so would that be the Gulf of Mexico? I doubt our dive rates are double the cost of a charter in the Gulf of Mexico. However, if you mean the Arabian Gulf, well, the overhead that dive operators deal with here is not the same as there. Just the cost of fuel makes a tremendous impact, and our dive sites are not very close by. You can't fairly compare locations like that without taking into account all sorts of factors.

Skydiver, I'm saddened that you're having such an awful time. No place can be all things to all people, and a lot of enjoyment comes from having the correct expectations, so I'm guessing that you had unrealistic expectations to start with. As far as I can tell, the only questions you asked here about your planned visit had to do with weather and conditions at dive sites. You didn't ask about where on the island to stay, how much diving costs, how to organise transfers, what pitfalls to watch out for. Nevertheless, maybe your thread here can help people coming to Phuket ask the right questions and set realistic expectations so that they don't meet with the disappointment you're experiencing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom