Photoshop recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard,

I know I'm going to get slammed but that can't be helped after as much ignorance as I'm about to show <grin>.

After coming back from a dive trip where I shot over 1300 photos I had a little project ahead of me. After backing up and archiving the originals I loaded all my prizes into Lightroom 2.5 and went to work. I was happy with some photos but many I couldn't seem to get quite right. Even when I white balanced with lightroom, the colors just seemed to be off. After taking several to Photoshop CS4 It was readily apparent that CS4's autocolor and auto tone were doing better than what I was getting in Lightroom as a rule. I copied a new copy of the original raw files into another directory as an experiment. Then I set up a macro in CS4 to Auto color, Auto tone, and sharpen the photo. Having this ready I turned CS4 loose with a batch run through this folder. This being done I created a new catalog in lightroom and imported these photos for review, cropping, and sometimes touchup. Yes there was some back and forth between CS4 & LR on some of them. I was pleased with the results.

Try this as an experiment.....Find a photo where you've got a good white/grey sand bottom and use it as the source for your white balance. I found that closer and further samples gave drastically different results. I found that sourcing off divers tanks (they where all supplied by the dive boat and all were white) also gave different interpretations based an the distance between the camera and the tank. CS4 just seemed to have its act together a lot better than I did.

These two programs are intended in my humble opinion to compliment each other. My experience has shown me that photoshop and lightroom can not replace each other. Each does things that the other doesn't. There are some things that one seems to do better than the other (at least for me).

If you are forced to go with only one, then LR might be your choice. If you really want to tear into your photos then nothing I know beats PS --- except of course the combination.

Maybe this is a part answer to your question........
You asked "Can anyone recommend the version of Photoshop you would recommend. There appear to be lots of different types - CSR4, Lightroom, Essentials etc.." I would have to answer CS4. Lightroom, Essentials, etc. are not versions of Photoshop.

Hope this is of some help.

Short version when it comes to Photoshop CS3/4 and Lightroom is that Lightroom is the first step and by far the easiest and quickest of them to do color and whitebalance corrections, while photoshop CS3/4 is the tool to edit the contents of the picture. Theire built to work together and have their strengths in different areas.

As far as tutorials, you may want to check you Tutorials - Online Training - lynda.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom