Photoshop recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I intend to shoot in RAW and then adjust white balance in Photoshop.

Can anyone recommend the version of Photoshop you would recommend. There appear to be lots of different types - CSR4, Lightroom, Essentials etc..

Thanks a lot

I use CS3 but I would say that your tolerance for cost will be a big factor in what you choose as well as what else you will use the software for. Will editing RAW photos be all you use the software for? I seem to always tend towards going bigger than needed but still somehow also tend to out grow things quickly (especially electronics).

I'm going out on limb slightly and recommend Lightroom over CS4. First there is cost, secondly a learning curve, third some clearer organizational capabilities. Lightroom should provide all of the necessities you need for RAW processing.

On the other hand, you may want to explore some of the ways other people deal with RAW photos first, then make your choice. The "Digital Darkroom" sub-forum stickie at the top of this forum would be a good place to start.

I have found Jack and Sue Drafahls' books very worthwhile with processing tips. Their books can be reviewed at your LDS or at:

Jack and Sue Drafahl, Underwater Photography and Photoshop Instructors

Most of the photogs I know would say Lightroom compliments Photoshop. I just purchased a legal full retail copy of CS4 from ebay for $284 shipped. Then I will pick up a legal copy of Lightroom when a good deal appears.

Thanks so much for your advice.

I use both Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom. LR is great for about 85% of what you need but it's not meant to do everything PS can do. I agree on the Drafahl books - they're awesome. One of the ways you can do the software on the cheap is buying the academic version. They're the same as the full-featured versions but at academic discounts (typically 50-60% off). You or a family member has to be in school (any K-12 or college) to qualify and they do typically require proof (like a report card, etc).

Did someone mention Lightroom yet? It is the best for 99% of the stuff that most people do with photos. If you are going to do some heavy manipulation such as adding/removing large elements or some other technical manipulations then PS is the better choice.

I feel obligated to mention Apple's Aperture, which pre-dates Lightroom. I use it exclusively after trying both, but to each their own.

Another vote for Lightroom first, and then add Photoshop Elements for those things you can't fix in Lightroom.

Cost & complexity is a big factor. If fixing your photo's is your hobby and you don't mind spending a lot of time on learning Photoshop you may want C3, but if you just want to improve your photo's quickly and easily I would avoid C3.

Wally

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom