Photoshop Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She should. I got mine in a 2 week turnaround period.

tiburon72157:
jonix - what links? i don't see any links relating to photoshop or any tutorials. question remains, can someone help me learn the ps healing process so i can begin to work on my pics? all i see is chit chat back and forth and somone else correcting my pic. and however much i appreciated that, i would enjoy it all much more by learning how to do the process myself with someone else's help. thanks!

here's how i do it:

1. Ctrl-J to duplicate the layer
2. Select the duplicate layer
3. Set foreground color to black by pressing "D"
4. Click on the Healing Brush tool and pick a brush size, you can increase or decrease the size using the "[" and "]" keys.
5. Alt-click on the "clean" area you'll use as source for the correction, click and drag on the backscatter. you can use the bracket keys to increse/decrease the brush size while doing this.
6. If the correction you did proves too much, you can always lower the opacity of the duplicate layer.
7. If everything looks fine, you can flatten the image and save as a new file to preserve the original.

have fun :eyebrow:

jonix:
here's how i do it:

1. Ctrl-J to duplicate the layer
2. Select the duplicate layer
3. Set foreground color to black by pressing "D"
4. Click on the Healing Brush tool and pick a brush size, you can increase or decrease the size using the "[" and "]" keys.
5. Alt-click on the "clean" area you'll use as source for the correction, click and drag on the backscatter. you can use the bracket keys to increse/decrease the brush size while doing this.
6. If the correction you did proves too much, you can always lower the opacity of the duplicate layer.
7. If everything looks fine, you can flatten the image and save as a new file to preserve the original.

have fun :eyebrow:

I'm printing your post Jon!!
I almost never create new layers just work directly on the original (I always save the edited image as a new file by the way).

Anyway if I don't like the corrections i'll just click on the history tab and go back...

Jamdiver:
I'm printing your post Jon!!
I almost never create new layers just work directly on the original (I always save the edited image as a new file by the way).

Anyway if I don't like the corrections i'll just click on the history tab and go back...

if you're fond of the history tab, try increasing the history states to 50 under preferences (by default it's set to 20):D

clgsamson:
@JOnix - keys to push re opacity and flatten..

oops sorry...

assuming that the layers window is open on the right (press F7 if it isn't):

opacity is on the upper right hand part, the slider can go from 0-100%

flatten can be found on the small right facing triangle just above the opacity slider, click and look for it there.

also if you don't want your exif info to be seen, just select all (Ctrl-A), create a new file and paste...when you save this new file the exif data is gone :D

jonix:
oops sorry...

assuming that the layers window is open on the right (press F7 if it isn't):

opacity is on the upper right hand part, the slider can go from 0-100%

flatten can be found on the small right facing triangle just above the opacity slider, click and look for it there.

also if you don't want your exif info to be seen, just select all (Ctrl-A), create a new file and paste...when you save this new file the exif data is gone :D

Damn!!!
All this knowledge!

I'm going to have to pick your brain more often dude :).

Diver Dennis:
He he he. Thanks Ron. You should come to the Photo Workshop next year in the Philippines. Mike, Simon Buxton and Tim Rock will be there as well.

A couple of books I've found useful:

The Photoshop CS book for digital photographers, Scott Kelby (editor, photoship user mag).

This book is 370 pages PACKED full of step by step examples broken down by functions like Masking Techniques, File Browser Essentials, Color Correction. Packed full of color photo's including the menus dispalyed that are used. VERY good for those that want to do stuff, but are not sure how all the tools interact (I would fit into this catagory to some degree! :D ) The list price is $39.95, but I think I paid about $25.

Sams teach yourself Adobe Photoshop 7 in 24 hours (I'm sure it's been updated, as has the above I'm betting to CS2).

Of the two books, I like the first better. However this book goes over the basics, and advanced topic step by step. Less color photo's less illustrations than the book listed above, but still very worthwhile.

Honestly, I need to learn more from both books. If I had them down, I would be a LOT faster when working in PS. However one of my goals is to shoot in camera, so I don't generally spend a great deal of time enhancing or modifying images. However it's good to know how! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom