Photoshop Experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I really enjoy this picture and wish I could enhance it with Photoshop to get the most out of it.

Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.

Dave

Sorry the attachment didn't load. Will try again later.

The attachments aren't working. But we're hoping that's changing soon - hey at least the Dive Profiles are back online...

So link to the photo on your webspace or use a free service like Photobucket.com so we can it.

ragan7:

Thanks for the link. The tutorial explains the "Mandrake Method" which has been written about on the board before. The Adobe website has an action to run it if you have full version Photoshop and the Mandrake Method is a part a a color correction action I wrote and posted in the articles section of Scubaboard. My only complaint about the tutorial is that the author does not give David (Mandrake) credit for his idea.

---Bob

Well, I'm no expert (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night). The method I use is with Levels/Curves and Balance. Using the example photo from the above tutorial:

the histogram looks like this:

histogram_00.jpg

See how the red channel is all squished up on the left, and there is a lot of space before the green/blue channels? This is an example of color bias. Too much green and blue. I'd quick fix this image as such:

1) Adjust the black points for the green and blue channels to match the red channel. Be careful not to clip any data by getting too aggressive with the black point setting. Here's the histogram after the Levels adjustment:

histogram_01.jpg

2) Do an Auto-Levels. This helps spread the data out a little better - you can do this step manually, but Auto seems to usually do the trick for me.

3) The Levels adjusting above helped spread the data out over the graph, but the balance is still wrong. Bring up the Color Balance dialog. The pseudo white points for the green and blue channels are lost - the best you can do is to move the red channel to the right, and the green/blue channels to the left. Don't be too aggressive. I used these balance settings:

balance.jpg

and got this this histogram:

histogram_02.jpg

resulting in this:

I prefer this method to synthesized mask layers. I think it allows more control, better color correction all while preserving subtle detail. Details of this technique can be found in the book "The NewAstro Zone System for Astro Imaging" by Ron Wodaski.

Nice job Chris. Very easy to follow. The board should post your example in the digital darkroom tutorials section.

---Bob

Geeze, no wonder I was struggling so much.

Will try again later.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom