Photos with Canon S40 (Bonaire)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SunshineFish

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wanted to share my photos from last month's most wonderful Bonaire dive trip:

Night photos and Land-based stuff:
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=8602836303.81748671603&n=1839175419

Day photos
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=8602836303.62748671603&n=650919462

The Set-up is Canon S40 with Canon UW Housing WP-DC300.

Some notes:
-Applied anti-fog for first use only; had no problems with fogging UW during the entire week
-permanently set the camera to Program Mode with flash always on and auto shut-off on
-battery barely lasted two dives with the LCD off between photos; I did buy another battery so I always had one ready to go
-learned to leave the zoom completely zoomed out so that I could try and keep the same distance from subject (it was a challenge to get close enough for optimum flash but not too close to compromise the focusing)
-used a 256M card and when camera was set for highest resolution, was able to take ~260 photos (I didn't test the max storage capability b/c....see next line)
-I brought my laptop with me to download photos off the camera

I'm still learning to use the camera as this was the first time I used it since purchasing it 2 days before my trip. I found that seeing your photos right away really helped with the learning curve.

Thanks to Dee for convincing me to go digital and thanks to everyone else for helping me choose this set-up!

Sandy

SunshineFish once bubbled...

[...]
-learned to leave the zoom completely zoomed out so that I could try and keep the same distance from subject (it was a challenge to get close enough for optimum flash but not too close to compromise the focusing)
[...]

"completely zoomed out" meaning at greatest telephoto or at greatest wide-angle setting?

TIA...

For me, zoomed out means at greatest wide angle.

Sandy, your link is asking me to sign in. Do you have a direct link to the albums?

Nice pictures Sandy, wish we could have been there with you guys. I know you had a great time. I wonder, since the site gives me the chance to purchase copies of the photos, does the owner (Sandy in this case) get a cut?

Dee, do what I do, I use a bogus email address for sites like this. There is some poor server out there somewhere getting a lot of my junk email hehehe.

Dee - try this for day dives , and also this for night dives. If they don't work, check your PM. You can access one album from the other but I think the links should make it easier.

Herman - I don't get a cut from others purchasing prints. Wish you and Kathy could have joined us on this trip too. But there is always a next time!

Sandy

Great photos. Especially the fish. Most of them show excellent composition.

And looking at the pictures of you... I want to thank you for keeping your gear tucked in and not allowing any danglies! Clearly the neatest diver in the pics! :thumb:

Some very nice shots you got Sandy, both in and out of the water. I didnt know that Iguanas in Bonaire came with their names written on their sides - must be the iguana equivalent of license plates! I also have a Canon S40 but had lots of trouble with fogging. My photos are at
http://www.pbase.com/elif

:relaxing:

Eli once bubbled...
Some very nice shots you got Sandy, both in and out of the water. I didnt know that Iguanas in Bonaire came with their names written on their sides - must be the iguana equivalent of license plates! I also have a Canon S40 but had lots of trouble with fogging. My photos are at
http://www.pbase.com/elif

Eli - your photos are beautiful! Thank you for sharing. The strobe really makes a difference. I will have to get one for my next dive trip - any helpful suggestions on its set-up and use?

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom