Photos From Tenggol, Malaysia! Parental Guidance - Contain Nudis!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
The S80 can't use TTL, unless I've missed something major. No ports. Slave strobes only. If it did, it would really be the perfect camera, though, IMHO. :)

Ed, safe to assume you're using full manual mode, or at least app priority?

I hope I can get my S80 to do as well as yours!

Thanks CompuDude, I know the S80 can't use TTL, that comment was an inside joke for someone who has been Peddling the digital TTL system for underwater use. Because it takes him 10 shots to zero in on the correct exposure in manual mode, which I find absolutely incredible!

I use aperture priority as well, with the manual strobe at half power for close up work. I start at f5.6 (my aperture range is from f 2.0 to f 8.0) then fire off the shot, review the exposure and adjust the aperture to add or subtract the lighting. I can get the correct exposure on the first or second shot (most folks do), then I bracket around this, not with just exposure but also with composition, camera angles etc. If half power still gives off too much light I add diffusers to the strobe.

Keep in mind that for most underwater or close up land photography the shooting distances are about 2 feet or less. It only takes one or two f stop settings (aperture openings) to cover this range, I bracket at 1/2 or 1/3 stops as well. Manual mode gives you more precise lighting control, as Ed and others have proven.

Thanks for the tips. :)

I just got my strobe, and as soon as the dr lets me get in the water next week (damn ear infection!), I'm going to see how fast I can chew through some batteries and fill my SD cards. :) I've been shooting mostly u/w mode, but the addition of the strobe has encouraged me to give the manual (or at least app pri) mode another go.

Ed_Dman:
Manual, it is! Still learning and members from this forum has been great, in encouraging and supporting. I just feel blessed to be able to dive and capture, God's beautiful creations. :)

I'm sure you'll do good, once you get your S80! Thanks! :wink:

Ed.

Ed, if you were close enough to the San Francisco Bay area I would give you another slave strobe, free of charge. A second strobe could really knock out those darker shadows under the last turtle shot, making a great shot even greater. You could even hand hold the second strobe (folks did this with the Nikonos) to put the lighting where you want it.

CompuDude:
Thanks for the tips. :)

I just got my strobe, and as soon as the dr lets me get in the water next week (damn ear infection!), I'm going to see how fast I can chew through some batteries and fill my SD cards. :) I've been shooting mostly u/w mode, but the addition of the strobe has encouraged me to give the manual (or at least app pri) mode another go.

You're welcome, please don't wait till you get in the water to test your strobe, fill up that SD card with close up pictures, around the house. The exposure settings when shooting between one or two feet on land does not change much in water thats clear. Bracket, bracket and bracket somemore.

f3nikon:
Ed, if you were close enough to the San Francisco Bay area I would give you another slave strobe, free of charge. A second strobe could really knock out those darker shadows under the last turtle shot, making a great shot even greater. You could even hand hold the second strobe (folks did this with the Nikonos) to put the lighting where you want it.

Wow! Thanks for the kind offer. I'm aware of the single strobe weakness, but a 2nd strobe is way out of my budget. Your offer is very tempting, but to fly half way around the world seems a bit impossible. What kinda strobe anyway? Hehe... :D

Anyway, thanks for the kind offer! :wink:

Ed.

PS. Heading out to the ocean again, will share more when I'm back! :wink:

are u using macro lens with your S80?

A ikelite housing?

Inon macro lens?

Ed_Dman:
Wow! Thanks for the kind offer. I'm aware of the single strobe weakness, but a 2nd strobe is way out of my budget. Your offer is very tempting, but to fly half way around the world seems a bit impossible. What kinda strobe anyway? Hehe... :D

Anyway, thanks for the kind offer! :wink:

Ed.

PS. Heading out to the ocean again, will share more when I'm back! :wink:

I just emailed you

can you please share with us what type of setup you have in order to take such detailed shots of a nudi?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom