Photon Torpedo and Salvo Rat on steriods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtivat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The beam pics below are of a Rat and PT one has a modified light assembly the other is stock. I purchased a UK SL4 eLED module and modified it with a Seoul P4 U bin LED and a GD 1000 Buck/Boost Converter board.

I first took a dermal and filed the slug and LED out of the back of the module. I then removed the LED and the battery post leaving just the copper slug. Next I attached wires to the GD 1000 and run them through the slug and attached to GD to the slug using Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive. I then used the Arctic to attach the Seoul P4 and soldered it all up.

The new unit has about two and a half times the hot spot and appears to me about three to four times brighter, also it has a lot more spill. I am not sure of the runtime yet but with the Seoul I would think it should still be longer than stock, even being driven at one amp. This mod was a PITA but worth it as this thing is awesome! I just wish UK, PT or Salvo would do this them self, it would not cost much more to do it right.

258518335RL294727575.jpg

Could you say again what exactly is on the left and what exactly is on the right?

(As for which is "brighter" the photos aren't capable of answering that, as both the left and right hot spot are completely blown out. Someday, I'll do a tutorial on meaningful light comparison photos, but it will necessarily involve manual settings and considerable work.)

If I understand correctly; you took the head off a UK SL4 eLED and installed a Seul LED and then used the modified head on either a Rat or PT? Correct?

Is the Buck/Boost necessary for this modification or could you just direct drive the LED?

Thanks

Henrik

If I understand correctly; you took the head off a UK SL4 eLED and installed a Seul LED and then used the modified head on either a Rat or PT? Correct?

Is the Buck/Boost necessary for this modification or could you just direct drive the LED?

Thanks

Henrik

Yes you could just upgrade the LED, the stock LED is being driven at 300 to 500 MA so to get more power I added the GD 1000.

Back
Top Bottom