Photography Without A Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
Have a question I am going to Grand Cayman in August and might not be able to afford a strobe setup by then. Right now I currently use a cannon a570is camera and an Ikeilite housing. I am wondering if I will be able to take decent pictures in the caymans without using a strobe. If I use a strobe I get more color right??? any help would be appreciated thank you

Yes and yes :)

Yes, you can get very nice images without a strobe. The key is to learn your camera.

Figure out your minimum focus distance and try to be there or just a touch farther away only. This will give you the best colour from your internal flash.

For scenes that are a little further away again, learn how to set your manual white balance. The Canon cameras do a great job when you set the manual white balance. I even asked one of my crew the other day if he'd used his flash (which would have been unusual because he almost never does) and he said no, it was just white balance. It was NICE. You will need to reset your MWB every time your light or depth changes, but once you know how to do it, it's a snap and quick to do.

Buy an external strobe. Don't scimp on this. Buy more than you think you need or you'll just keep being frustrated by the new limitations. This is your most expensive option and it also adds bulk, preparation time and weight to your rig. External lighting is the number one thing you can add to an underwater system to take your images to the next level, but it comes at a price. Depends on your budget and your needs/wants for your photos. There is also a learning curve when you add new gear, but a little patience and practice will see you dialled in in no time!

i have been looking at the ikeilite af35 auto flas kit. Anyone heard of anyone that used that kit?

what would you prefer i mean gosh that af35 is almost 500 dollars

i have been looking at the ikeilite af35 auto flas kit. Anyone heard of anyone that used that kit?

It is actually a pretty good flash, but Ikelite makes the pick up for all their flashes and I would go with the d125 and you will have all you need!

Really? It's that expensive? I didn't realise.

I'd buy an Inon strobe from Yuzo in Japan, personally.

You can check out the Pink Link in my signature for lots of options and links to various recommended stores to start your search for the perfect match for you :)

Something else to consider is one of these M A G I C - F I L T E R S
Ditto alcina's advice on strobes - the Inon's are currently probably the best way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom