Photography help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the fashion show happened last night, and boy did it prove to be a challenge. The club was as dark as could be without being illegal and packed to the walls with people. I ended up taking up a position at the very foot of the runway, as in all other places I would have to contend with people being in the way.

At the start of the runway was a large video screen that freaked my camera's meter out all night. In addition, there were various spotlights and whatnot that all proved to be quite the challenge! I ended up not setting the flash to manual since my experience is thin there.

I went with a new 17-85mm USM lens since I wanted to be able to hit the models at any length of the stage. A diffuser helped with the flash.

I'm really, really disappointed in myself though, as somewhere during the night before the show my ISO got set to 1600. I think my brother may have done it while trying to get some shots of me with the models. I didn't check 'til after the show though, as I expected it to be on 400 where I left it. That might have even still been too high for as much light as I was getting with the flash. The photos are really noisy at full size. *sigh*

Oh well. Lessons learned for next time. Hopefully in the future I'll have a "proper" runway with proper lighting rather than a jerry-rigged (sp?) stage with bad lighting. :)

Below are a few of the unretouched photos. Early retouching looks promising (especially on the overexposed shots), which is one positive point in all of this.

It's funny: a few of the same models show up in most of these sample shots. The camera seemed to like them the best as their shots turned out better than the other girls did. I think we had like 9 models, and most of these have the same 3.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Much appreciated!

IMG_6523.jpg

IMG_6534.jpg

IMG_6537.jpg

IMG_6544.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6557.jpg

IMG_6558.jpg

IMG_6519.jpg

IMG_6505.jpg

IMG_6497.jpg

IMG_6609.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

IMG_6601.jpg

IMG_6593.jpg

Not bad! I'd say the 1st two came out nice. As for the noise... you might either try playing with the noise reduction in photoshop or trying a 3rd party noise reduction filter/ addon like "noise ninja" or "neat image". They also help with smoothing out skin blemishes if needed...

Back
Top Bottom