Photography and Barracudas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hory

Contributor
Reaction score
I was diving with a group of divers. We were going down current when we spotted a school of Pacific barracudas, each about a meter long. There were 6 of them with all of them facing the current and hovering close to the bottom. They weren't moving except for one or two changing depth...all within a foot or so from the bottom.

It was unfortunate that I didn't have my camera then. Would have made a great shot.

Out of curiosity, I approached the school from the side. The closest I got was about 2 arm lengths (apparent distance). If I had a camera and strobe with me and I took a shot from 2 arm lengths, how would these cudas react? Any marine biologists out there who could help me?

Best,
Hory

Are you concerned about the flash attracting them? I can't say it will never happen but I have taken 'Cuda photos within arms reach of them with no problems, they simply swam away.

YMMV

From what I understand, the great barracuda which tends to be solitary, can be a bit more aggressive, a bit more nosey so strobe could have a chance to attract them a bit more. Other kinds of barracudas are a lot more benign. I took some pictures of large schools of blackfin barracudas up closed with no incidence.

However a friend told me that once he had a barracuda attacked his flashlight during a nightdive :eek:

My experience with the large schools of barracuda is that the strobes don't bother them, but that may not be the case in other parts of the world. I got to about 4 feet (1.3 meters) on this shot of 2-feet long Heller's barracuda in Saipan, taken with internal flash before I got my dual strobes. I took some photos of some blackfin (chevron) barracuda in Palau a few months ago and got to within touching (but didn't....) distance of them, about 2-3 feet, using a single external strobe. The photo of that one is on another post I did about two weeks ago if you want to see it. As long as I don't make any sudden moves or swim directly at them, they seem to allow me to swim in the same direction as they do.

I was about 2ft from this Great Barracuda, under a ledge.

abl.sized.jpg

We have consistantly found them to be curious but not aggresive. But there have been attacks reported so it's always a concern. One of our members, Cudabait, has a very nice scar down the center of his face to show for his unprovoked attack.

Dee, you've got some real guts to get that close. Nice shot. I snorkeled to within 5 feet of a great barracuda under a pier in Belize, and that even gave me the heebie-jeebies.

That's probably the last sight some baitfish see....

I can't claim bravery! I was tootling along just under the lip of a ledge alonf the wall when I saw this cutback up ahead. Curiosity always gets the best of me so I eased around a small fan and you're looking at what I saw! I don't know who was more surprised!

When I first saw him, it was a surprise but I was not blocking his way...he was not boxed in at all, and he didn't seem alarmed so I started shooting pictures. Only after a couple more divers showed up and were blocking his escape did he start getting antsy. I backed away immediately and he slowly left.

I know I have posted some of these before, but since someone brought it up again - the following were taken at the Papoose in NC just under the boat on my safety stop. There must have been around 200 (within sight, the vis wasnt great that day) just swimming along under the boat. Interestingly enough, these were all taken on my first dive ever with my new camera, for you all you newbies wondering how good your first photos can be...

Dave

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom