Photo shots of Humboldt Squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gonetobaja

Reaction score
Hellow fellow scubaboarders....

Well the good news is that I took two cards of shots before I blew it and dropped my camera in 600fsw of water:light:

Wanted to post another trip report on our dives with the Humboldt Squid.

On this trip we had some pretty well know customers. So well know that I cant post names or pics, however I can post some shots I took on my Oly 4.0 megapixel.

ca3bb2a6.jpg

377bf003.jpg

There are always dead squid that can be found in the right areas. they are usualy small. this one is being eaten by carnivirous Starfish.
64d3b077.jpg

1fee9158.jpg

e2bd3d28.jpg

That is the hotel where we stayed.

Got into a free swiming shoal of squid on this one and watched a 5 footer eat a 2 footer. VERY impressive. There was a photographer and a Subject diver and the Subject diver saw it happen also. No attacks on us for this one but I felt the tension increase in the water after that one ate the other. Then instead of going into a frenzy on each other they just dissapeared.

Except for loosing my camera It was a great trip!:lol:

For those of you who may read this, please beware that there are operators in the Baja area that will take you diving with these animals who are quessing as to how it can be done safely. Saftey is more than just protection from the animals, it comes from long time dives on the same thing and systems that are developed over years of practice. When you are diving in 600fsw of open blue water miles from shore you only need to make 1 mistake to become a statistic. Please exercise extreme saftey precautions when attempting to do this dive. You may never use them but you should have them in place.

When I am cleared to release the names of the people I will post another report.

GTB
www.sea-wolves.com

Man, those are awesome photos.

cool shots... can interest you in a $3 lanyard?

hahahah

sorry to hear about the loss of your camera!! that soo sucks

Mike Veitch:
cool shots... can interest you in a $3 lanyard?

hahahah

sorry to hear about the loss of your camera!! that soo sucks

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well you know what they say about hindsight :).

Nice shots, really like the shot of the Humboldt with the rays shinind down on it..

Wow!

Actually the camera loss was one of "those things"

I was armored up and ready to go in. My camera was sitting next to me on the seat as I was about to roll in. I was not going to use the camera on that dive. I looked over my left shoulder to see a large squid just under the surface, I looked to my right to see the deck hand of our boat having a tough time with a large one he had got on the barbless squid jig. Squid to the left and right of me. After checking the final position of both squid I decide to roll in between them so I dont land on one. I think the camera lanyard got caught on some of my armor when I rolled in. When I hit the water I always hook on my saftey cable first. After that it was a quick armor check to make sure everything was secure and nothing had moved.

I then swam over and got ahold of a squid on the barbless jig and took him off of it and swam him over to the customers where I let them check it out before letting it go.

After the dive I was looking for my camera and couldnt find it.....

Now Ive replaced it with a new 8.o megapixel!!! Im crazy for cameras!!!!

Although I am a poster child for bad gear care, I hope this one to last longer than 1 trip. Oh yea I didnt even tell you guy, It was a new camera first trip out!!

Oh well, I got some pics to remember it by. When I am cleared to show you guys who I dove with I am gonna be stoked to show you.

GTB

Here is a shot of what my armor looks like after one good dive. There are over 25 hits on this part of my armor. Every mark on there is made by a Humboldt Squid, the beak is very powerfull.

63aaee77.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom