Photo shop....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GERARD IMBRO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,
just wondering if anyone has any input on which version of photo shop would be a good choice.would like to remove back scatter at the very least.
Thanks for your time

Elements is more than adequate for most people's needs and certainly for just removing backscatter--and you save $600 or so.

I have been using Elements for years and it allows for much more than just removing backscatter. Elements has become a very sophisticated photo editing program over the years. I have been toying with buying CS5 but, as Vladimir points out that's hundreds of dollars more.

Regards,

Bill

If you're just trying to see what it can do, give the "GIMP" a try. It's basically a free photoshop clone that originated with the linux crowd but has now been ported to windows and Mac OS X. I don't know whether or not you can easily filter for backscatter but it's a fairly robust tool. It has a learning curve similar to photoshop but if you've used photoshop or CS1, or CS2 you should be able to find your way around GIMP pretty easily.

Elements is worth every penny, if you're not looking for "trial and error" with GIMP.

Lightroom and Aperture can be used for a lot of adjustments and minor fixes. I use Aperture all the time for color and contrast adjustments. I just set my levels and it is pretty much automatic. If I have a photo with lots of backscatter or needs a little defining I use Photoshop Elements and Topaz Define. Truth of the matter is after switching to dual strobes I don't use Photoshop that often.

Truth of the matter is after switching to dual strobes I don't use Photoshop that often.
Yes. I tweak the levels just a little bit, and then I'm done. If you find yourself doing a lot more than that, you probably blew the shot.

Lightroom is good to archive your photos, and especially when you shoot in RAW,
but the editing is very limited and has no cloning tool for removing backscatter.
GIMP is a excellent freeware similar to Photoshop and will do much more as you demand,
for zero $$$.

Chris

I have PS7 and Elements 7. I find that more and more, I'm using Elements for my UW stuff. PS is much better for creative imaging. If you want to cut and move things and collage pictures, etc. it's great, but grab Elements when it's on sale. Sometimes you can get it for about $60

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom