Photo or Video...or both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
When I first got certified I picked up a cheap UW camera that I used for a while and got some...ok shots with. Since then I've sold all my cameras and now have a digital SLR. I've wanted to get a housing for it for a while, but now I'm thinking I may want to shoot video instead.

I love photography, and I've been shooting on an off for years but I can get a decent DV cam and housing for probably even a little cheaper than the housing for my SLR plus the new wide angle lens I'll need. I've also always been into video, though, too. When I was a kid we had the cheap black and white toy camera. I think it was made by Fisher Price. We would spend entire weekends making movies.

Also I've been doing animation for a few years and really like working with motion probably more than still images. I've been editing audio for even longer than that. Started out cutting 1/4" tape for a company that produces syndicated content for radio. Recently I've been doing more video editing at work, mostly boring pharma stuff, though, but really getting into it. I think overall I really like editing, weather it be audio or video, I just really like the whole process of slicing the hell out of something and morphing it into something new. I also really like taking things from all these different sources to create a final piece (animation from Flash or 3D, video, photography, audio).

Regardless of whether I get a housing or not I already have video editing software at home, and I'm really thinking about getting a DV cam and picking up Mbox with ProTools LE for editing audio. So even if I don't do UW work I do plan on starting to make videos. Plus a few of my buddies have cameras already (not great ones, but they have UW cameras), but none of them really shoot video.

What would you do if you were me?
Is there anyone out there who does UW photography and video?
Do you prefer one over the other?

Yes... I do both.

They are both great mediums. There is no replacement for the resolution and portability of a good still shot. They make excellent conversation, PC Wall paper, etc. Likewise, there is no betterway to re-live your diving experiences than through video. I encourage you to pursue both of these and put as much thought into the planning of your photography/videography for all the site you dive as you do in the dive preperation itself. Planning ahead (choosing the medium most appropriate, what are you targeting, what light is available, what accessories might you need to get that perfect shot, ...) makes all the difference in the world.

... as a matter-of-fact, there are many of my productions that incorporate photos into the video...

Ok then here is a little more info.

Most of my diving is here in the cold often dark NJ/NY/PA waters. Off shore and at the quarry vis can sometimes be 60' - 80'. Inshore or depending on weather vis can also be 0' - 15' tops.

Also the other thing I'm considering is which will be easier to carry in rough seas or an area where there is a stong surge or current.

After many years of shooting just video I finally realized that a lot of subjects are really still shots. The camera is the only thing that is moving. The first of the year I got a Oly 5050 setup & am really enjoying still photography. Some trips I will take both video & stills, some trips only one format. Just depends on the subjects that I expect to see & the scenery. Sometimes I insert a few stills in my video when editing. Its only $$$$$........$$$$$$$$$.

I don't do videos other than the short clips my still camera will do of some action that's won't be relayed by a still photo. I know the quality sucks compared to a dedicated video camera but it's just a memory for me and not to be shown to the public. I like the option. But from someone who watches U/W videos from others, I agree with jcclink's comment that the majority of videos I see, the camera is moving more than the subject. Of course there are exceptions, like the wonderful Manta Snuggle video that was posted a day or so ago, or other behaviorial actions like Morays catching their dinner, or fish mating shots. To me it's really boring to watch Scorpionfish, Frogfish, Toadfish, Nudi's, etc. that do nothing.

I guess it depends on whether you're taking the video for your own use as a memory of your dives or if you're producing a video from footage to show the public. Basically, if it's action that won't show in a still photo I enjoy watching it but if not, it's boring.

Just my unsolicited 2¢

I do both video and stills. I love them both and this year have done extremely limited amounts of video, but way more video editing! I got back into stills at the end of last year and have concentrated on that.

So saying, I almost always take both the still and the video cameras out when I go diving. Just lately the video camera stays on the boat :wink:

It sounds to me like you have a bent towards video - go for it! This is what I would do if I were you and ONLY had the information you have posted.

1) buy a video rig & housing - dive dive dive
2) buy an "inexpensive" digital system (Canon A series, Oly 5050, Stylus or whatever) - dive dive dive

This is going to be way less than moving your dSLR into the water and will let you know if stills are for you. If you decide you really like stills, sell the new system and use the funds towards the dSLR...or use it as a backup. Or stick with the new system and add what you need to it. You should be able to get some great results with just camera and housing... If you decide you hate video and don't want to do it, same thing - sell it and use the money towards your stills.

As to boring still subjects...yes, they don't do much. But they are interesting to look at...you'll need to think about lighting, angles, scenes, telling a story so it isn't just static images on the screen which could be from a still camera. And it's about editing. Music, background commentary, telling the story, smooth entry/exit points...make the watcher need to see those cushion stars sitting on the bottom doing nothing at all. Video editing for excellent results is tough and you can't please everyone every time...do it for yourself...If you can stand to watch it after endless hours editing it all, then you can be reasonably confident that an audience will sit through it!

Good luck!

yeah, it's a tough call... I started with stills, Nikonas V, then got a little sony Cam, loved that, the back to stills.. I would like to say I do both, but mainly stills for the last two years... I shoot video when I've flooded my still and it's out for repairs.. I like them both, but realize I can only concentrate on doing one well, relative speaking.

Sounds like you're into the video portion and like they're saying above, go with that.... Half or more is in the editing and since you enjoy that,stick with it and see how your do... you can, of course, take stills with the video cam, just like you can take video with stills.. but in both cases the secondary is not of good quality.

Do the video and get good at that... pick one or the other and concentrate on being the best in that one... but I like them both and still work them both, so don't be surprised if there's always that "What if I did stills instead...." heheh... pick one and do that...

Hope that helps..

Mind you, I'm only curious about this - but why are so many of you focused on either one? It seems to me that they both have great attributes and I don't think Grunzster is asking which one he should choose...

What would you do if you were me?
Is there anyone out there who does UW photography and video?
Do you prefer one over the other?

Do most of you really prefer one over the other?

(no rant here - just curious)

Well, I love'em both, video and stills.
The problem I have and others I've spoken with is you can do both good to well, but eventually one or the other takes up the majority of time.

My impression was that he was looking for help in figuring what to do? By all means he should do both, I'd love to do both, but eventually you start to lean towards one. Since it seems to be a common happening, from what I'm reading video is weighing a little heavier in that he likes the editing part..

I think it's just a matter of being able, naturally, to do one a little better over the other. Both take a lot of time, I'd say Video aka "Editing" takes more, but it's like going on a dive with a video and a still and you see something.. what do you use first??? Some would do video, some would do stills and some would both... the "Both" might not come out as well as one would like, but some are very happy with it.. so for them "both" works..
For others, "both" mean neither one came out good to excellant as intended...

So to try and answer your question, it's not an OK, OK OK.. I'll do .... it's more of what comes out the best when you try to do both... stills or video.. video is tough IMNSHO.. but I still like it..
Hope that helps???

Back
Top Bottom