Photo geolocation option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnneSat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I am looking for a camera that is able to save the GPS position of the place where I took the pictures underwater, and I am starting to doubt it exists...
I know that the GPS signal doesn't reach underwater... but maybe there is some new technology or system that is used and I don't know about.

Thanks in advance!

Anne

Hi Anne

Not that I know of.

What I do is set my Garmin 60CSx to record a tracklog while I am diving, save the log to my PC and use a program called Geosetter to add geotags to my images. Obviously the GPS and boat is never in the same position as I am, but within 100m is good enough for me. Bit of a problem for a shore dive however .....

GeoSetter for Windows

my understanding is that gps does not work underwater--otherwise i would expect it would be supported both by even high end u/w housings and by high end dive computers.

The coolpix P6000 has a built in gps for geotagging. I wonder if it will tag photos with the last confirmed position (say on the boat just before a dive).

Hello!

Thanks to all for your answers. Looks like it's not possible to have geottaging technology underwater... I'll try Andy's method. The geosetter looks good.

I have an Olympus and it has the geotagging function and it saves the last position, so what I actually do is to take one before the dive and more or less estimate the rest.

Thanks to all again!

Anne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom