Photo Gear While Traveling...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAFirefighter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've flown several times before, but I've never traveled abroad - my trip to Bonaire will be the first time. I have a nice Pelican case for my dive camera setup. It has two nice double mechanism latches. It also has two locations to put a lock through. On my trip, should I lock the case as I would if it were a firearm? Or should I leave it unlocked? Thanks.

are you checking it?

If it is checked, it will likely be opened, even if they have to cut the lock off.

I'm thinking I may be able to get all my photo gear into my photo backpack (instead of the hard case) and check that. At least that way I know it's with me. If it's checked, I wanted it locked, but if they are going to open it... then I might at well try to get it all in my carry on.

I always carry on my photo equipment, although mine is fairly minimal compared to some.

I also use carry on for my light head, and regulators. I would carry more, but that about hits the size limit :)

Get the DAN Equipment Insurance, put it in the hard case and just check it. Just take your camera body with you as carryon. I use strange colored zip ties rather than a lock, it is an immediate sign if something has been tampered with..

Pelican makes TSA locks for thier cases, they are about $12 online at the Pelican website. use one of those, if the TSA want to look inside they can open it.

I carry my case on with me and don't usually lock it. Customs seem to be drawn to it more if it's locked for some reason. "Hey, what's in the lock box?"

I'm using a compact camera setup so my Pelican is only 15"x11"x9" (ish) and it fits under the seat in front of me on the plane perfectly. So it doen't leave my or my wife's sight.

I've used the TSA locks before and the baggage handlers just tore the eye loops off with them so they could rummage my bag. I've used zip ties ever since and haven't had any problems. Something about the locks piques their interest so they are best avoided.

I carry-on my camera and strobes in a Pelican case. Reg, computer and prescription masks go in my rollaboard. Everything else is checked.

I carry-on my camera equipment in a Pelican case as well. Once in a while, I have to open it up to show that it's camera equipment, so I wouldn't recommend locking until you're out of the airport.

Other than that, I keep my regs and other equipment in my carry-on backpack.

If you are checking, use TSA approved locks. Plastic wire ties are ok in a pinch, but TSA will likely inspect it, and after that it's just an open case, and things sometimes "disappear". Besides, they are easy to remove anyway, which can tell you "someone" has opened it "somewhere", but provides no protection for the contents.

As for insurance, always good. You may get your money back, but that doesn't help you at your dive destination, where almost nothing can be immediately replaced. It can really ruin your dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom