Photo from Monday's Dive on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK Gil on my next trip I'm going to stalk you. Sorry, it has to be done. :)

Got any frogfish pics???

Aloha Al,
I have two Frogfish pics on my site. They are both the Commerson's Frogfish. One is very large and was on the deck of the St. Anthony wreck for the longest time and looked like part of the hardware. It's kind of a "where's waldo" in the photo. That photo is a scanned 35mm pic from a few years back. Click Here
The other is a small rather colorful one that I found at one of my "secret spots" Click Here
:shades:

some day I hope to be able to take great PICTURES
but since I dont even have a strobe yet will get there in time I hope !!!!!!!!!!
oh Dee I have most of my money saved up wont be long now !!!!!!!!

I have been thinking about kayak diving over here on the mainland. Since you lived in San Diego, you know what I have to deal with in terms of viz, waves, and water temp.

I am really envious of being able to Kayak around Kihei and take lots of cool pics. This will be the first time in 3 years we haven't been to Maui in August, but are considering around New Years.

Will the viz be good enough for u/w photos? Will we dive the south end of the island or need to head for Honolua Bay?

Craig

Aloha Craig,
I can't be of help to you as respects kayak diving in San Diego. Even though I lived there for 21 years I didn't do any diving there other than get my certification. I just wasn't a cold water diver. I remember the water temp being in the low 50's when I got certified one April.
As far as Maui in January, the vis in winter is the same as summer as far as I am concerned. The water temp will be around 74. Honolua Bay will likely not be good diving in January as the winter surf is usually large there at the mouth of the bay affecting the visibilty inside the bay. Shore diving in South Maui is good all year round except when there are S/W or N swells. The swells have to be quite large to affect kayak diving. As long as one can launch and land between the wave sets, the deeper water (70 to 90 feet) still offers good vis.

Shorediving in Aug of 2000 was awesome. Aug 01 and Aug 02 weren't so good due to south swells. How is this season stacking up?

Mahalo

Aloha Craig,
August of this year has been good to great. There has been little to no current for the past week and the water has been clear. Hardly any surf along the shoreline. Very few S/W swells this summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom