Photo equipment and U.S. customs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We travel with a DSLR and Video systems and have run into this twice. Here is what I have done, suggested by Customs. I listed all our equipment, model, serial number. Loaded up all the stuff in the car and went to our local Customs office. I just took the sheet in, explained the situation and they stamped it. No problems since. Yes it is a pain.

On my last trip to Galapagos in 2007, I was totally harassed by Customs officials in Miami on return from Ecuador. Granted, I was traveling with 2 Pelican 1620 cases loaded with photo and video housings, lights and other gear, along with a dive bag, duffle bag with clothes, camera bag and laptop. At Miami they have x-ray machines that show the contents of each bag. The officer was going to let me go, but when he saw the shear quantity of gear that i was traveling with, he pulled me aside. They were seriously going to just confiscate all of the gear, and I spent the better part of an hour talking my way out of it. Previous to that, I had one other incident with Customs officials asking for registration paperwork for underwater photography gear.

So I would say, though it's unlikely, it's not out of the realm of possibility, so if you have time to get your gear registered with Customs ahead of your trip, it's probably worth it for peace of mind. Definitely travel from Latin America seems to arouse suspicion more, because Customs officials seem to suspect that you've bought stolen gear there.

All the very best,

Sterling

I used to travel often out of the country for work.

We just had copies of the receiving paperwork for stuff like our laptop that had the serial number on it with us in case they asked us about any duty on it. Since it was proved it was purchased in the US, they lost interest in worrying about it.

Having this paperwork for your laptop is a good thing to have regardless as we often went into customer sites that the security group that processed us in/out the building was worried about laptop theft. A couple times the paperwork with the serial number on it made it easier to prove it was ours.

I've not done that with my camera gear... but I might before the next tirp out of the country. (but they've never asked me about it in past years, even in a Pelican case).

I do quite a bit of travel, and generally bring along multiple camera systems. In the past years, Ive never been questioned regarding the gear. However, on a few of my trips so far this year, customs has stopped and questioned me at LAX upon my return. I had one very nice customs agent ask me what was in my 6 large bags...I was honest and said dive gear, rebreather, and 3 cameras. He proceeded to ask me how much it was all worth (which I answered honestly) and then asked me for my forms. I said...what forms sir...so he told me all about the forms, handed me brochures (like I didnt already know, right)...and he said sir, you realize I could ding you for quite a large sum of money without proper documentation right...then he laughed and said make sure next time you have it or else...

Needless to say, that was three trips ago, and I still havent done them...Do as I say though, not as I do. I highly suggest filling out the forms or at the very least, I suggest always packing a copy of the sales receipt in with your gear in case they question it.

87.gif

I have a carry-on with nothing more than my G10, strobe,tray and a few miscellaneous items. They pull me out of line and inspect it every time and swipe it for explosives.

Are they being efficient or does TSA hire people that lack enough life experience and/or common sense to do that job?
When was the last time TSA caught a terrorist?

Well, they almost caught me. According to DHS, I could be a domesticated terrorist. :eek:

I guess I'll have to get my papers in order before my next trip. I so enjoyed my last experience with Customs when having a ROV shipped from Canada, that I can't wait for the next interaction. I love being treated like a drug smuggler and/or terrorist. It was classic watching a bunch of agents staring at a ROV trying to figure out what it was. Its a good thing it wasn't an AUV, or I would have been arrested for importing a torpedo.

Well, they almost caught me. According to DHS, I could be a domesticated terrorist. :eek:

I guess I'll have to get my papers in order before my next trip. I so enjoyed my last experience with Customs when having a ROV shipped from Canada, that I can't wait for the next interaction. I love being treated like a drug smuggler and/or terrorist. It was classic watching a bunch of agents staring at a ROV trying to figure out what it was. Its a good thing it wasn't an AUV, or I would have been arrested for importing a torpedo.

I rest my case.
79.gif

Back
Top Bottom