Phone reception on Similan liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StanleyCup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am headed on a Similan liveaboard and am wondering about staying in contact via mobile phone? Not really much I need to do on the phone, but I would like to be able to tell people approx when I might check voice-mail and possibly return calls.

Here is the itin:
DAY 1 - Diving Island #5, Island #7, Island #9
DAY 2 - Diving Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, Koh Surin
DAY 3 - Diving Koh Tachai, Koh Bon, Island #9, Island #5
DAY 4 - Diving Island #8, Island #7, Island #4

I know I will get reception near Phuket, but what about day/night during the trip? Anyone have any experiences (like "for sure you'll get reception -here-" or "no way you'll get reception -here-").

By the way, the phone is a Thailand AIS 1-2-call SIM card, someone told me that AIS is much better than DTAC or True in the Similans. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

You won't get reception at Richelieu, Bon and Tachai. As far as the Similans goe: sometimes you will, and sometimes you won't. Sometimes even being on the other side of the island from the mast will mean no reception.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom