Philippines - Where to go for one weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tetonbarbie

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I'm going to be in Manila in May for work and will have the option of going diving over an extended weekend. I'm still pretty new to diving, enjoy cruising corals, drift diving - big fish are not essential. I'll be traveling alone, so safety is important.

I've looked at Cebu, Puerto Galera, Anilao, and Dumaguete/Apo Island. Based on my schedule - I'd fly/drive into the location on Fri morning so will want to dive that afternoon/night(i've never done a night dive) and then again saturday morning/early afternoon - to allow 24 hrs before flight back to Manila.

I'm also hoping to minimize travel time if I have to fly into a location - meaning, I'd like to not have to drive another two hours to the final destination.

Cebu and Dumaguete seem to be the most convenient with respect to this - but, I'm not sure about the diving.

Anilao and Puerto Galera travel times in total would be similar to the total flight time(getting to airport pre-flight,etc.)

If anyone could help me out with recommendations - that would be great.

puerto galera should be a better choice given the limited time you have. while it will take the same time to fly to cebu or travel by car and boat to puerto galera, you can have more time to dive there since you will not be flying out of PG. unless you're planning to fly out of cebu without going through manila.

Yup, if you take the first JAM bus of the day to Batangas, and then the first banka, we,re talking about 1h30 bus ride followed by 1hour bangka. You'll be in Sabang nice and early and able to squeeze in as many dives as you'd like (5 no problem if you like).

I've heard Anilao is a good option too (no Banka ride)... Others more knowledgeable than me will surely chime in!:coffee:

You can always ask the resort in PG to provide transportation. They will pick you up at the hotel any time by the way, and you can sleep all the way to Leah Beach where your private bangka will be waiting. You never have to touch your bags once you have them in the lobby. The last time I was in PG a few weeks ago I hitched a ride with a guy from Spain in the same situation you're in. Makes for easy travel.

Try Atlantis for a resort.

tetonbarbie;
you can have the resort in puerto galera pick you up in Manila, but they can charge as much as $100. The bus is the better deal. Puerto Galera is a great palace to dive, it has the most varied diving I have seen; rec; tech; wreck; drift; deep; nature; etc. When yuo get to Batangas pier, (your destination for the bus) take a boat to Sabang Beach. If you go to Puerto Galera itself, you will have to take a taxi, tricycle, or jeepney to Sabang to find a good place to stay, and/or dive with.
My wife and I dove with Action Divers and stayed at Deep Blue Sea Inn .
Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers
You'll have a great time.

well if you want to minimize the travel, I vote Anilao...

Hi,
I'm going to be in Manila in May for work

when you say "Manila" do you mean

Manila, Metro Manila or (Makati)
or
Cebu City?
or Manila = Philippines?

your dive location would be maximized on your work/residence location while in the Philippines.

one good guide is Manila is not the Philippines :wink:

:10:

nah, if u take the Sikat Bus, travel to PG will be a breeze, and it will only be for $16 one way...

anilao will be ****ing expensive if you have to dive alone....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom