Philippines in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello;

Thinking of a trip to the Philippines in December for 3 weeks to dive Malapascua Island, Moalboal (Pescador Island) and Bohol.

The operators say it is NOT their busy season - the busy season being Jan - Apr.

Has anyone been to these locations in December? If so, were they impressed with the diving and ocean conditions.

Would you recommedn other areas not mentioned - that are known to be much better in December?

We are experienced divers and nor "greenhorns". As such we want something better than just dead coral rubble!

I am into sharks and pelagics and Jolanda is keen on micro critters.

Thanks....Iain and Jolanda

iainwilliams:
Hello;

Thinking of a trip to the Philippines in December for 3 weeks to dive Malapascua Island, Moalboal (Pescador Island) and Bohol.

it's not peak season for diving as the nation is busy for the HOLIDAYS. people planning to go home to their "HOME" literally. even foreign residents.

I say go for it ! Water tmep would be around 25 to 26 degrees centigrade around that time.

Been on and under Bohol in Dec.
Look out! Book early, the resorts on Bohol fills up by Dec. for the non-divers on holiday!

This is the best time to visit the entire Philippines (not as hot) on land. The problem with the diving is the visibility, a few months after the rainy season. The diving is still very good, just have to take more macro shots. Prime time diving there are between Apr. to early June.

f3nikon

The only thing I'd add is to reconsider Moalboal and maybe substitute a destination like Dumaguete. I was in Moalboal last year and I saw more divers than fish, literally (and there weren't many divers around!).

In my experience December is a very good time of year for diving. Most of my Filipino friends think it's a bit too cold (as paolov said, 25 /26 but i've seen 23 in puerto galera around then) so it isn't considered the high season but the weather and conditions should be good. Have a great trip!

I agree with Scuby Dooby , the Philippines has better diving in the Cebu area than Moalboal. You should try either Dumguete/Apo Island or Southern Leyte; both these areas can be reached by ferry from Cebu City.

Also, as Scuby says, the water temp can get down around the 23C mark (I've seen it 22C in Jan). The weather can be a bit rainy, at least its that way in the Puerto Galera where I've spent several Christmases.

Enjoy your holiday and safe diving,
Drew

december is the best time to visit the philippines! it's a whole month of Christmas and the people are very friendly.

the weather is also very good especially in visayas and mindanao area. try camiguin island!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom