Philippines - Advice needed :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hutchinson12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
I am based in Hong Kong and I am planning a short dive break for August time. As I am so close to the philippines and have only been once before I think this woud be the best option but there are just soooooo many places to choose from. Does anybody have any advice on where is a great place to dive in the philippines? Thank you!

I really recommend malapascua. Check out a dive resort there called evolution. You need to fly in to cebu to get there. It has great diving from nice easy stuff to deep and adventurous and in land the island is a really special place

For convenience, you can fly direct to Clark Airport and get to Subic Bay within 45 minutes drive. It's predominantly wreck diving, but the reefs are also pleasant during dry season - good for macro and muck photography, not much pelagic life though. Subic is very popular with HK based divers - and 'do-able' for long-weekend trips.

Second option/s would be a flight to Manila, then drive to Anilao/Batangas - nice resorts, ample shore diving and good reefs. Some fabulous muck diving at 'Secret Bay' - coming close to Lembeh for the diversity. Take an onwards ferry from Batangas Port to get to Puerto Galera - again, nice reefs, some pelagic and good coral life. Either site is reachable in a 1/2 day travel from Manila.

You might be able to fly direct to Cebu (?) or get an onwards flight from Manila to Cebu or Bohol. Some fantastic diving in that region; Malapascua being a stand-out because of the Thesher Shark spottings. You're looking at a further day of travel from Cebu to reach the best dive spots though.

For that remote feeling and beautiful, easy diving - Liberty Lodge at Apo Island is not to be missed.

+1 for Coron Bay if you like real wrecks & adventure. Try Discovery Divers.

Hi
I am based in Hong Kong and I am planning a short dive break for August time. As I am so close to the philippines and have only been once before I think this woud be the best option but there are just soooooo many places to choose from. Does anybody have any advice on where is a great place to dive in the philippines? Thank you!

Air Philippines Express and Cebu Pacific have very cheap daily flights from HK to Cebu, Clark(Subic) and Manila.
1. Cebu: Alona Beach(Bohol), Dumaguete, Malapascua and Moalboal etc etc.
2. Clark: Subic Bay
3. Manila: Anilao and Puerto Galera

Typhoon will strike at any time between now and Nov so keep an eye on weather forecast.
Anilao, Moalboal and Subic Bay do not require ferry connection.

For Malapascua many HK divers arrive at 4am in Mactan Airport on the Cebu Pacific flight and are diving on the island by 930am. It also works on your return leg as it leaves late so you can do all of the dives on your second last day and still get 24 hours off gassing. Malapascua has a lot of variety so is a good one-stop-shop for a short visit.

Thanks for the vote for Evolution Drew - nice to be recommended.

+1 Apo island. Apo is great! Stayed at Liberty's Lodge for Christmas/New Year's vacation many years ago. Seriously thinking about going again next February or March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom