Philippine dive industry...to progress or not to progress.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have noticed that Aussies that go to PI tend to go with dive shops. Often paying WAY more than I pay for the exact same trip - even the exact same resort. I think a lot of it is to do with "pay it all now, and don't worry when I am there", but there may also be a level of trust. they trust the dive shop to give them a good deal/great trip. as far as the good deal is concerned, that is debatable, the great trip part has always been true of those that I have asked.

In terms of prices, I am not against a small rise in prices for dives, but, as I have said before, if I have to pay $50 a dive or more, why would I bother? I can go to Vanuatu, Fiji, Tahiti etc for half the airfare (or less), and not having to deal with Manila airport is a plus. for those that don't know, I would suggest flying into Cebu if at all possible, much, much better :).

As for development. I think most dynamite fisherman would probably prefer to make money in other ways if they could. You can't tell me sitting in a boat full of dynamite with a bunch of fisherman with cigarettes hanging from the sides of their mouths is their idea of a great workplace.

A healthy diving industry may not wipe out dynamite fishing, but it will more than likely reduce to a far smaller scale. Knee jerk reactions are rarely the correct ones, thought our ideas and development, as stated by others, is going to achieve more...

Z..

Ahh, Chip will be there then.. and he will be so happy.. :wink:
I'll need a wingman, mikey... :eyebrow:

@ Kompressor: so where will these lovely ladies be going? :blinking:

guilted edit: VVV fine you guys :p VVV. Here's a serious answer. My general feeling is that more and more people are discovering and coming to the Philippines but the infrastructure will need to improve in order to keep up with a growing industry.

Hank, eelpout, and Mr. Blues make good points. And don't worry eelpout, Mr. Blues agrees with you, but he is elluding to the fact that it's not as easy as it sounds. I agree with him there.

I've spent time in a lab that works with the Manyangs of Bataan, with Conservation International on Verde, and as an environmental consultant for an urbanization project in Nagsugbu. When setting up MPAs (or any conservation effort) the local communities MUST be involved in every step of the way. They have been fishing (dynamite or not) on the reefs for generations and there is no way they will be receptive if tourism officials show up a bunch of times at their town hall to tell them what's going to happen - they are very wary to new faces changing things in their community. So the government must have the patience and resources to work with the locals because without their trust, they will continue to ignore any conservation effort. Only once you gain their trust will they be willing to listen to the proposed changes. And when changing their lifestyle I passively noticed that the biggest things the local communities care about are: a stable local economy for generations to come (ie dive operations around the area) and ample training in order to be self sufficient in their new profession. For this, foreign capital would be a great help.

Yes, I still think dynamic fishing will continue but I am not pessimistic - before I left the Philippines I spent a week with my scuba instructor on Verde Island to help him train the locals. They were training to be boatmen for divers and (future) dive shops then top students will go on to get DM training - All paid for by Conservation International. Their profession before? Dynamite fishers, hookah spearfishermen, all sick and tired of ruining their livelihood. It's been a long process but, wow, it's amazing to see the resulting change in mindset of the entire island. It gives you hope that change is possible and it's happening NOW. :)

See? Mention 19 year old girls and the thread is seriously derailed.

That's about 10 useful posts, time to start a new thread...

so PPD :rofl2:

Edit: seems I wasn't the only one with this idea, so editing to keep the thread from further derailing.

Chip104, believe me I know that it seems helpless at times. My brother is a Marine Biology professor at the UP Visayas. He has done evironmental impact studies all over the Philippines for the last 15 years. From Tawi -Tawi to the North Coast where divers don't even go. He is the one that sets my realistic opinion of what the diving industry can do in the Philippines. His words "It will take time and be patient.

He has been involved in a study that has tried to reeducate locals in how their present process of fishing is not good for their future. Very hard thing to do if your family is starving today. Kudos to you for helping, I wish I could have the opportunity to do that. Other challenges in the world of Hyperbarics are awaiting me now.

If you think there is soemthing I can do to help, just PM me.

Jim

Thanks Jim, you make great points. We can only hope that the infrastructure will keep up. Your brother is doing good work - something I want to do after a couple years in the rat race. :)

Edit: seems I wasn't the only one with this idea, so editing to keep the thread from further derailing.
um, Geoff, didn't you see what Kompressor wrote??? There are NINETEEN OF THEM. Plenty to go round. :wink: :D :D :D

very few knew, some doesn't care. but the D.O.T. Beijing Team China did a lot during the last China Dive Exhibit. and CDEX is very supportive by coordinate with our Beijing team headed by Jasmin Esgnerra position our booth # 151 on a fronting position.but only 4 private sector join! with only Yvette u/w photos and videos to show off, D.O.T. Beijing was able to get a Philippines Day (We r the only one) with Simon So of Techdiveit Academy talk on learning to dive is easy in the Philippines. I was lucky, to have the opportunity to talk on why dive in the Philippines, and why our u/w scenery is still one of the best in the world, with able reason to support it, I introduce even the off beaten track dive site, even those small dive operators don't care in promoting there dive sites. I also have the opportunity by being interview by 2 press reporters (enjoying it!) by speaking PU TONG HUA. I have full confidence in talking about Philippines divesite of w/c I been diving the last 17th years. of course with the recommentation of BOTTOM DRILLER, the D.O.T. finally decided to invite me! next year CDEX will be in Shanghai, will have more exposure, be course of the Olympic, their will be added attendance beside the local BIG chinese divers and diver to be. ( I only concern of the china market, but PCSSD and D.O.T. are doing many others area promotion around the world, only the private sector don'T care) more comment please, and a happy diving NEW YEAR 2008

D.O.T. Team China and our Beijing tourism attache Esgnerra together with 3 private sector representative namely: Dirk Fahrenbach, Peter Tay, Simon So are all proud to present the Philippines. one Bohol private sector doesn't know our promotion exsist, Sierra Madre Dive of Alona Beach with a Filipina represent her own, but I do translation for her. Johnny Dive did have flyers with Us, lucky for him, I promote Camiquin too. but their is one original tech dive instructor visit his dive client during the exhibit secretly, with out even visit the Philippines booth, I think he is ashame to be a Pilipino(guest who?), too bad. anyway congressman Angpin did visit the booth daily. We should all proud be with in our Philippines dive spots that still have fishes! (i am hi breed, not half breed!)

Dingho, that is just bizarre that the DOT wouldn't be working with the private sector on this. Oh wait, nevermind, I forget we're talking about a Philippine gov't agency (Caloy, you listening :mooner:).

I do remember the WOW Philippine stand at the ADEX show in Bangkok last year (sadly the entire ADEX show itself isn't very big...). I don't know what DOT does overseas, but they need to do something similar in the big scuba shows in the US and major Euro markets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom