Philippine Airline Luggage Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are going to Manila next week and as I looked through Philippine Airlines luggage requirements I noted that they have a 15 lb limit on carryons. Is this typically enforced or can we get away with 20 lbs as we do when traveling to the caribbean where our carryons are never weighed....yet? Any recent experiences would be appreciated.

It seems PAL checks my wife every year for her carry on, 15 lb. She is always over.
Me I have my backpack and they never ask me as I make it look as though it is light as a feather, but is probably close to 20lb. I believe you can bring one carry on, plus one laptop, plus one "purse". Of course the size of my wifes "purse" is the size of a shopping cart.
Don't forget that PAL has lowered it's check in luggage to 50 lb for fiesta class, but it is still 70 lb for Mabuhay class. I have purchased the sport equipment option, which you sign up for ahead of time. The limit is 42 lbs. I used it for all my dive gear. It was a bit expensive, can't remember the exact price now, think $150 per/year. Only did that one year as we needed to bring 5 luggages at 70lb each.
PAL has it's own airport so immigration is quick, but luggage is a hassle. Hire a porter if you have a lot as they will pick it up and take it outside for you for a few pesos.
Have fun.

To clarify, according to PAL's web site, checked luggage is TWO pieces at 50# each from North America and return.

To clarify, according to PAL's web site, checked luggage is TWO pieces at 50# each from North America and return.

Yes, that may be o.k. if you are taking PAL from the U.S. to Manila (2- 50# checked) but if you fly domestically with them in the Phils then the rules change to one 22 kg checked - unless you get the sportsman membership.

I fly EVA from Seattle to Manila and I have to watch my carry-on. I have one check in below 50# then two carry-on that keep with the rules of less than 20# overhead and a "camera bag/purse". I still have to make it appear "light" when I check in. Just to be safe I will stuff things into a travel vest - especially the heavy stuff like my guide book and G11 camera. It really helps make sure you are under. When I get past the check-in then it all goes back into the backpack.

Just flew PAL in March- LAX-Manila and return, plus 2 domestic flights. Expect them to weigh carry-ons, and very likely to enforce the limits. You may get away with a tiny bit more depending on the person weighing your bag and saying the right things, but don't count on it.

My personal item was a typical small backpack that had my laptop and whatever - they did not seem inclined to weigh this on any leg. I even asked once as I did not want to get stopped for it later (they put tags on the bags they weigh.) Oddly, if people had only a backpack but no other carry-on, then they would weigh the backpack even if no bigger than mine. Go figure.

Playing the shell game, like putting stuff in a travel vest, hanging that heavy camera around your neck, and putting it all back where ever you want later will probably work, silly as it is.

I like Mabuhay class as you can up the luggage to 70lb x 2 plus priority boarding, can use the lounge at lax/manila/cebu. A bit more comfortable for the long flight.
Where are you headed for the diving?

I used PAL on february, flying from Manila to Cebu. I had mid-size backpack (around 10kg ~20lb) which I kept "hiding" on my back during check-in, they did not weigh it. Only put little tag like mentioned before.
I'd say if your carry-on bag is any reasonable size, you can get away with it pretty easily. But of course, you never know before you try:)

this is our first trip to the philippines so we are doing PG staying at el galleon. If we have a great time "We will be back".

recently flew pal to sfo and back and to hkg and back, sometimes they weigh the carry on a sometimes not but they stictly enforce the 50 lbs and size limit on each leg

this is our first trip to the philippines so we are doing PG staying at el galleon. If we have a great time "We will be back".
You will enjoy el galleon, although I have never used them for diving. they serve good food and the point bar is a great place to hang out.
The dive operation is asia divers and it is a good operation, although for me I prefer the smaller local shops like sea rider or action divers.
Have fun on your trip.

Back
Top Bottom