#Philipines+Palau Jan+Feb 2010 tips&advice needed#

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i forgot to add sogod bay in southern leyte. its the season for whalesharks there in january to feb.

Oh, whale sharks...that would be so great!

So...where to go...and how?
Which destinations would be best reached on a liveaboard?
And where would a landbased dive center serve me just as well?

As a first taste of the Philippines I am considering taking a 8 day liveaboard with this Danish ship...probably be nice to acclimatize:
Adventure Cruise - Nordrute, 8 dage

After that...oi ve...so many islands and dive spots to choose from!
Perhaps 14 days with a dive center on Palawan and then...?

I think 14 days in palawan is too long. your time will be better spent in the visayas where you can hop from cebu (mactan, moalboal and malapascua) , dumaguete (dauin and apo island), Bohol (balicasag, cabilao and alona), and Sogod Bay. then hop on to manila on the way to anilao, puerto galera and apo reef. you can also reach apo reef via dive safaris from coron. you can also try mindanao for a variety of diving in General Santos city (southpoint divers), Davao city and Cagayan de Oro (for duka bay and camiguin). however, these are all land-based diving where you stay in a seaside resort and take a boat ride to dive sites. these are usually short hops of 5 to 10 minutes to as long as 30 minutes to an hour.

Jigo...thank you so much for your excellent post...it is very helpful for me!

Just a practical question: Should I book dives and accomodation in advance...or just show up in January and February 2010?

I should have 6-8 weeks time for the Philippines (might skip Palau)...so my travel in the Philippines will probably be quite flexible.

Cheers,

Henrik

normally, it would be better to just wing it when you get here but i think this is the peak time for tourists from europe so better to make some advance bookings for hotels/resorts specially for areas with limited accommodations such as sogod bay and cabilao. do a search here. all you need to know about these sites have been extensively covered in previous threads.

Here's how I would dive different places in the Philippines if I have 6-8 weeks and I'm budget conscious. This is based on avoiding domestic plane travel which is very strict about luggage allowance, as much as possible. Also bear in mind, although there are pockets of big fish/pelagics in the Philippines, the diving is mainly macro or muck diving (you will love it so my suggestion- get in to underwater photography fast).

IF YOU ARE FLYING IN TO MANILA- try to arrive during daytime. Have your resort pick you up from the airport upon arrival so you don't have to spend paying for a hotel in Manila. Go to Anilao, Batangas. Suggested dive resort- Dive 7000 in Anilao. Stay here for a week. Other suggested resorts (also in Anilao) - Club Ocellaris, Dive Planet. Transfer to Puerto Galera, Mindoro by a bus ride to the Port of Batangas and then by ferry to Puerto Galera. Check with your resort in Batangas for info about the transfer. Suggested resort in Puerto Galera- La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre, Puerto Galera, Philippines. Stay about 5-7 days. Return to Manila and consider Subic as previously mentioned by another member. Or go to Donsol, Sorsogon (for the whalesharks, snorkle only) by plane ride to Legazpi City, Albay (& take a 1 hour taxi ride to Donsol). After you had your fun with the whale sharks, directly go to Ticao Island for the mantas via outriggers arranged by your resort in Ticao. Resorts in Ticao= ticao-island-resort.com and STEADYEDDIEDIVE.COM (stay about 5 nights). Return to Manila and take the interisland ferry or flight to Cebu (there are flights from Manila or Legazpi to Cebu).

IF YOU ARE FLYING TO CEBU-stay at the Waterfront Hotel, Mactan (right across the airport; walking distance) IF you have to stay one night before going to your resort. Go to Malapascua, Cebu for the tresher shark/manta/Dona Marilyn wreck/Gato Island/mating mandarin fish, etc.; stay about a week. Suggested resort= Malapascua Exotic Dive Restort. Then go to Moalboal, Cebu by bus (whale shark?) and dive for about 5 days. Travel by bus or transport provided by your resort to Santander, Cebu for crossing by ferry to Dumaguete, Negros and stay for about a week in one of the resorts in Dauin (Pura Vida, Atlantis, Bahura). Don't miss Apo Island which is a 30 minutes away by your dive boat and the pier dive in Dumaguete. Take the fast ferry (SuperCat - SuperFerry Travel and Leisure - Aboitiz Transport System Corporation or Ocean Jet) to Tagbilaran, Bohol and stay/dive in Panglao, Bohol for about a week. The other option while in Bohol is to go to Cabilao for about 5 nights (Cabilao Beach Club, Resort) or to a resort in western Bohol (do a google search for this resort). Then take a ferry ride to Cebu City for your flight out of the Philippines or go to Manila directly from Tagbilaran City by plane.

You can only dive Tubbataha by liveaboard (limited dive window because of winds). You have to take the plane to Puerto Princesa, Palawan to get to the live aboards or take the liveaboard in Batangas during their transition trip to Tubbataha (expeditionfleet.com). Befor/after Tubbataha, you can do your wrecks in Coron, Palawan.

I don't have any business relationship with the resorts that I have mentioned.
Credit cards and travelers checks are only accepted in the big cities like Cebu and Manila and most resorts will apply a 6% surcharge if you use them. Get some local currency upon arrival in your airport of entry.

Rolando

Southern Leyte is for whale sharks and other critters. Sogod Bay scuba Resort (sogodbayscubaresort.com) might be worthwhile and could provide you with enough information to start.
Rolando

what you could do is base yourself in the visayas like bohol and take a week-long or two week-long dive safari.
doing a liveaboard this way cuts down on your hotel expenses and also makes the most out of your time with regards to diving.
you will be able to cover most of the places that people have mentioned except for leyte.
a good itinerary would be bohol, dumaguete, siquijor, guimaras, malapascua, manigue near boracay(possible hammers), coron and if possible camiguin and apo reef.
that would give you almost everything. pelagics. wrecks (WWII japanese fleet in coron), macro, muck, walls, sandy bottoms, sharks, schools of pelagics, reef fish, etc.
the dives arent that difficult too as long as your with a competent dm.
also note that the places i have mentioned have very interesting tourist spots like old churches, unique rock and earth formations, waterfalls, lakes, etc that would make for a great vacay imho.

pm me if you need a couple of referals

Wow...I am utterly amazed by all the help, tips and advice from you guys on this forum!

2 weeks ago I didn't know the name of one single dive site in the Philippines...
But now...what a difference!

I'm now so hooked on going to the Philippines in January-February next year...I can barely wait :)

Cim72lando...thank you very much for your very helpful idea for an intinerary...I might copy that for my own travel in the Philippines.

Rab141200...I definitely, definitely want to try a liveaboard soon...the Philippines could be an excellent place...though also I could wait trying a liveaboard until I hit Australia or the Pacific islands (that is after visiting the Philippines).

The thread on the 'pristine reefs of southern Mindanao' has also got me hooked on visiting that most southern parts of the Philippines.

Huge thanks to all you guys from me! :)

topper

i throughly suggest doing the liveaboard dive safaris in the philippines. youll hit the most sites that way. and it not expensive. they are definitely not in the range of prices you would pay for places like australia and palau.

mindanao is another great place to dive . ive only dove there in camiguin but i will be diving in davao this july. but im thinking nothing beats those pristine reefs in sarangani bay and tawi tawi.

the philippines is indeed a great place to dive because of the natural beauty, the kindness and warmth of the filipinos, and the food :)

Hi Topper1972
Im probertly going with H.C Andersen in ultimo November beginning December 2009, but still not sure if I should pick Philipines or Bahamas or Curacao.....Went to Similan Islands last year on a liveaboard great dives but didnt see any whale sharks or Mantas.........but nearly anything else.

Back
Top Bottom